Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation Help

About a month ago I noticed I had no sound coming from my left speaker. Then today the right speaker have no sound. Well, I have tried everything and calling Hp was one.
I have unistalled and then reinstalled my drivers, I have updated them, I have checked to see if it was muted, I have done a system restore, and I have even tried a total system recovery and erased the laptop back to the original factory settings. I then tried plugging the earbuds into the headphones jack and I heard sound. So, do anyone have any solutions for me? Thanks for you help in advance.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Help

This looks like a hardware fault to me.

Is your laptop still under warranty?

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Alvin.C is probably right. Since the headphone jack works we know the sound drivers are working. You could go into Device Manager (Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager (on the left side)) and see if the laptop is showing the speakers as a part of the hardware configuration.

If the laptop is out of warranty, you could go with a sound card (PC Card or USB) and a set of external speakers. There are some speaker sets made special for portability with laptops.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

alright, now...... so how do i fix the hardware to make it work so i dont have to buy speakers? is there something i can do to bring it back, do you think the geek squad at best buy can fix, or a computer repair shop can handle? Here is what the device manager looks like
-sound,video,game controller
conexant high definition audio

it also has a pic of a speaker in front of it
Closed Thread