HEAT / COLD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default HEAT / COLD

I am sure this is a weird question. i know that heat is the enemy of all electronics. but i do not know just how hot or cold a laptop can work in, without honestly hurting it. one of the things i want to do this summer, is make a "virtual map" of my garage, and everything in it. i have literally, TONS of parts/pieces in it and i am forever trying to find just that one piece in it. i hate the cold weather of winter. but as soon as the snow melts, i would like to get started on it. but if my computer will not work in 40 degree temps, i will have to find a way around that, or wait till it gets warm enough. heat, i would think the computer will work to the point that i can not stand it anymore. i am about done around 90 degrees. with a cooling fan mat under the laptop, i would think it would be ok to that point.

XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: HEAT / COLD

You really don't need to worry about too cold unless you live somewhere that is like -70 degrees C.
But the thing you have to worry about is the heat. If your cpu reaches 60-80 C that will be too Hot.

Afootpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afootpluto View Post
You really don't need to worry about too cold unless you live somewhere that is like -70 degrees C.
But the thing you have to worry about is the heat. If your cpu reaches 60-80 C that will be too Hot.
This. Colds temps makes electronics run more efficiently because excess heat is burned off more quickly, and makes the components much cooler because of this (besides things like LCD screens that have a liquid matrix that can freeze and damage if too cold).

Heat and airflow would be the biggest things to worry about.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
besides things like LCD screens that have a liquid matrix that can freeze and damage if too cold
well,i obviously do not know how cold it would take to freeze an lcd screen. but i do know that millions of them are shipped around the world, in unheated trucks. even in remote area's like Alaska. freezing is one thing, damage is another. but since i hate the cold, i would not be out in it very long until it is above freezing. actually i am a bit sensitive to both cold and heat. if i am going to be out doors working, it will be between 40 and 90. any hotter than 90 i call it quits, unless it is an absolute necessity. and the same with cold. less than 40, with a few exceptions, requires a necessity. hunting is the only thing i voluntarily stay out in the cold below +40 degrees (f). I DO WANT TO THANK BOTH OF YOU, that is the information i really needed to know.
XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Glad to help out.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote