Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I realize I've made a bunch of posts lately about this, but I'm just trying to make an informed decision!
Hauppauge Computer Works : WinTV-HVR-950

I was considering buying this to hook up my Xbox 360 to my PC. Does anyone know how the latency is on this particular tuner? Getting a signal isn't the issue, I just want to know if there's any sort of delay with this tuner.

Thanks! :)

...That's WORSE than the other tuners you've mentioned! It is JUST A TUNER, doesn't say anything about video inputs. You won't even be able to hook an Xbox 360 to it without some sort of adapter. I'd just go for a basic tuner if you're set on using your laptop. It won't be HD, but you're definitely not going to get HD using a coaxial tuner (those are for digital cable or HD antenna broadcasts, not VGA/component signals from a console). Look for something with HD component inputs, that would be the easiest thing to find probably. If you are going to use an RF Modulator cord for your 360, just get the other tuner, RF modulating is really low quality, even yellow (composite) video input is better than that. S-Video would be best for a standard tuner if you can't find component.

Haha, well I'm not even looking for HD any more...just something with reasonably good quality lol. But it does have video inputs...standard composite.

-EDIT- It seems only certain versions of the 950 come with inputs :S

The only HD input solution I can find is the HD PVR
HD PVR Product overview

It's quite expensive, though...I may get that, I'm not sure.

The HD PVR looks NICE! If you have the money, that looks like the thing to get! It will get HD from pretty much anything. A tuner isn't really the thing to get, as nobody really uses regular cable anymore, almost all providers issue a set-top box for HD that only outputs component/hdmi for HD. That will also work with the 360.

Alright...big bucks it is :X And, it's a hardware encoder, so latency shouldn't be an issue, yah?

Should be less of an issue at least, hardware encoder is usually for recording (so your CPU doesn't have to run conversion code). A good tuner like that probably has low latency though.

Cool, thanks so much for all the help! :) I should be done asking all these questions now...at least for awhile :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom