Hard drive wont boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Hard drive wont boot

Recently I had a laptop(IBM T42) come in with a full hard drive, i got a hitachi drive that was purchased from the ibm site, completely compatible with the laptop. I made an image of the full hard drive then copied it over to the new bigger drive, extended the partitions, and put the new hd into the laptop, and during boot up the screen just stays black after POST. I can go into the bios and see the harddrive, i can boot from the xp cd and see the hd, I can even go into the recovery console and get on the hd, in the command prompt, but when it comes down to booting from the hd it just doent work. Any Ideas? I initially thought that maybe the drive needed to be completely formatted, so i wen ahead and formatted it, but it was a no go. Then I put the image back on the hd, and intalled windows on to the c: partition(two partiotioned drive) and the computer could boot from it no problem, then i reimaged it again and tried check ing the boot.ini file, thinking something got twisted, but it was unsuccesful. I am ****ed off at this drive so if anyone has any ideas they would be most appreciated.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Hard drive wont boot

I would try dong it the old-fashioned way and just install windows cleanly on to the new hardrive and use copy and paste to move over files and google to find software. very time consuming but eliminates the issue of an improper disk image
Closed Thread