hard drive trouble??????

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i really do not know a lot about computers. and i am not afraid to say it. they are just something i never learned. i tried to install a service manual that i purchased off from ebay onto my laptop. but during the initial part of the set up wizard, it stopped, and i got a pop up window that said

an installation support file 'C:\users\owner1\appdata\local\temp\(a4a6c5co-726d-11d3-0376-0000e878085b)\setup.inx' could not be installed. Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).

i asked the person that sold me the disc, and he had not run into this particular problem before. his thought was there is possibly a bad section on my hard drive?? it seems to me i ran across a place to check my hard drive for trouble spots at some point in the past (it would have been an older computer) but i have no idea where that is. also, i remember one of my brothers friends saying that a hard drive is only good for so many hours. is there some place i can check that as well?? and if so, how many hours is a hard drive typically good for???

by the way, i did successfully install the above dvd disc onto my desk top, so i know the disc is not the source of the problem. it is just very inconvenient to run up and down stairs to work on a car, check the service manual, back up the stairs, etc.

i really do not know a lot about computers. and i am not afraid to say it. they are just something i never learned. i tried to install a service manual that i purchased off from ebay onto my laptop. but during the initial part of the set up wizard, it stopped, and i got a pop up window that said

an installation support file 'C:\users\owner1\appdata\local\temp\(a4a6c5co-726d-11d3-0376-0000e878085b)\setup.inx' could not be installed. Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).

i asked the person that sold me the disc, and he had not run into this particular problem before. his thought was there is possibly a bad section on my hard drive?? it seems to me i ran across a place to check my hard drive for trouble spots at some point in the past (it would have been an older computer) but i have no idea where that is. also, i remember one of my brothers friends saying that a hard drive is only good for so many hours. is there some place i can check that as well?? and if so, how many hours is a hard drive typically good for???

by the way, i did successfully install the above dvd disc onto my desk top, so i know the disc is not the source of the problem. it is just very inconvenient to run up and down stairs to work on a car, check the service manual, back up the stairs, etc.

Start -> type "cmd" (without quotes) -> right click 'cmd.exe' -> run as Administrator -> type in: "chkdsk c: /f /r" (without quotes) -> press enter

It will say it cannot run currently because its locked, and ask to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter. Reboot your computer and let it run; may take an hour or 2, depending on how big the HDD is and how much data is on it.

As for checking the health... you can check HD Tune and see what the Health tab has to say: http://www.hdtune.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom