GPUs for High Details, Low Resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klope3

Baseband Member
In my opinion, it is not as important to run games in high resolutions as it is to run them in high detail settings. For instance, even with my PC's GeForce GT 240, I play Crysis at a resolution of 800x600.

I'm looking for a laptop graphics card (for a future laptop) that can play games at a fairly high level of detail. The problem is, it's very hard for me to gauge the power of various laptop GPUs because benchmarks of such GPUs seem to assume that resolution has to increase with the level of detail. Resolutions above 1280x1024 seem to be common in the gaming world these days.

How much, in general, does performance increase when a laptop GPU has to render a game like Crysis at 800x600 instead of 1280x1024 or something higher? Can I expect GPUs in Class 2 (as ranked in the sticky of this forum subsection) to run modern games fluently (that is, 30+ fps) at higher levels of detail but lower resolutions?

You can build a desktop for a fraction of the price of a laptop to gain that much GFX performance.

You could Crossfire/SLI two GFX cards. That will give you more performance than a single laptop GFX.

You're looking at $1,500+ for that laptop, that you can never upgrade more than it's RAM and HDD. A desktop, you have more of a choice for parts, can upgrade as you like, and be much easier if one piece of hardware goes awry.

That's my 2 cents.

when you're running at a lower resolution the game becomes more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, which is why you don't see benchmarks on below 1280x1024. I'd recommend getting the best GPU your budget allows for a laptop, or as MoM suggested get a desktop, you can get much better performance for much less cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom