Is this a good setup for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickHardy

Beta member
Hello, my name is Patrick and I am new to this forum. It seems so far to appear towards me as an exceptional place to discuss computers in general. I want to start by asking if this setup I have is good enough to support the current top end games especially for multiplayer use.

My main concern was how good the graphics card is that I want to get, if my processor chip is good enough to support current games, and if I have enough memory to have a fast game play. I chose 3 gb's of Ram because vista 32 bit only sees a little over 3. I did not want to get 64 Bit because I was told I should stick to 32 bit for gaming at the moment. Here is the setup I want to buy within a few weeks. I would like feedback with pros/cons on the setup so I know what to expect or what I should do in order to expect great things. This is my first real computer so I want to pick something very good for gaming online. Main goal is not to have much lag at all and have great visuals.

M17

Video/Graphics Card: Dual 512MB ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 3870 - CrossFireXâ„¢ Enabled!
Processor: Intel® Core™2 P8600 2.4GHz (3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
Chassis: 17-Inch WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD (720p)
Keyboard Options: Illuminated Keyboard – Alienware Exclusive Design - Astral Blue
Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
Notebook Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control or TV Tuner
Memory: 3GB Dual Channel DDR3 SO-DIMM at 1066MHz – 1 x 2048MB + 1 x 1024MB
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 160GB 7,200RPM (8MB Cache) w/ Free Fall Protection
Optical Drives : 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® Ultimate N 5300 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card with MIMO Technology
The World's First 450 Mbps Wi-Fi Adapter!

how exactly do you use 3dmark? I do know notebookcheck.net the place that tests graphics cards normally go by the 3dmark 2005....Dont know why 2005 its beyond me.

COD4 I believe recommended processor is 2.4 ghz thats why I choose 2.4. I believe age of conan is 2.4 as well.

The reason for 2005 is that many mobile graphics aren't able to handle 2006 properly to get a valid reading.

Video/Graphics Card: Dual 512MB ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 3870 - CrossFireXâ„¢ Enabled!

Isnt that very very nice for laptop graphics? (I mean its no 9700M/9800M SLI but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom