Is this a good laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millenniumtiger

In Runtime
It is a Dell XPS M1530. Going to be using it for school and also for gaming. Total shipped/taxed is $1632 with student discount. Anything that I could take out to save some money or anything that I need to add? Also, Do I need bluetooth and the wireless N card?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition

LCD AND CAMERA High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera

MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

HARD DRIVE Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)

VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

BLUETOOTH AND WIRELESS USB Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)

BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

FINGERPRINT SCANNER Finger Print Reader XPS M1530

My Software & Accessories

PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint

ADOBE Adobe Photoshop + Premiere Elements -Free

My Service
WARRANTY AND SERVICE Get $70 Gift Card with 4 Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service

ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr.

DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP DataSafe Online Backup 20GB for 1 year

Did you check with the school to see if you need to join the computer to a domain? If so, Home Premium wouldn't do the trick. Bluetooth is for connecting certain devices wirelessly (PDA/phone, mouse, etc.). An 802.11n wireless adapter isn't necessary since the protocol is not widely implemented. An 802.11g adapter would be fine.

N is going to be used more widely soon enough, there are vast improvements over G so it makes sense to get the N card.

First off Home Premium will be just fine. It has the netowrking abilties of XP Pro. So if you can connect to a school network with XP Pro you can with Home Premium.

N ives you more range. While it is not widely used just yet doesnt mean you shouldnt get it.

Should I get 4GB or Ram or 3? I heard that Vista doesn't allow for 4GB or is it over 4? I would hate to spend more $$$ for Ram that I won't ever be able to use. Also, going to go with a Inspiron 1720 instead since I can get all the same specs (except larger screen) for cheaper.

Also, anti-glare or glossy screen?

Did you check with the school to see if you need to join the computer to a domain? If so, Home Premium wouldn't do the trick. Bluetooth is for connecting certain devices wirelessly (PDA/phone, mouse, etc.). An 802.11n wireless adapter isn't necessary since the protocol is not widely implemented. An 802.11g adapter would be fine.

That is a g adapter too.

Should I get 4GB or Ram or 3? I heard that Vista doesn't allow for 4GB or is it over 4? I would hate to spend more $$$ for Ram that I won't ever be able to use. Also, going to go with a Inspiron 1720 instead since I can get all the same specs (except larger screen) for cheaper.

Also, anti-glare or glossy screen?

If the OS says 64bit version then it the RAM amount isnt limited. If it doesnt say assume its 32bit and try to go with 2-3gigs. And id say go with glossy, i prefer them and they look newer.

I'd get 3 gigs (I did in my new laptop, it's an HP but very similar to yours in terms of system specs) because usually they overcharge you for memory. In a year or so, a 2GB stick will probably only cost $50 as opposed to the $100 that system manufacturers usually charge just for upgrading the 1GB stick to a 2GB stick. Changing the RAM in a laptop is really easy too.

When I design a laptop, I make sure to get the best "permanent" components (ones that I can't easily change) like processor, graphics, screen, wireless, etc. You can get by with not upgrading RAM and hard drive because you can always upgrade these later.

I would go with the Wireless N and Bluetooth card (I have one in my laptop).

If you can, I'd ditch the camera, finger print scanner, and as much ram as you can. Buy your own ram off of newegg for like 1/4 of the price they charge you at dell.

I got the fingerprint reader and webcam free when I got an HP computer...I looked at Dell and their systems were overpriced compared to HP. My dv9700t has a 1680x1050 17" LCD, T9300 (2.5GHz), 3GB RAM (though you could save $50 or so by cutting it down to 2GB), an 8600M GS (with HDMI, VGA, and S-Video out), full keyboard with number pad, webcam, fingerprint reader, HDTV tuner (expresscard), remote control, Vista Ultimate 64, and WiFi a/g/n and Bluetooth for around $1800 to $1900.

To cut the cost, you can save money by cutting:

HDTV tuner (save $100)
Vista Ultimate 64 (get Home Premium 64, save $100 or so)
T9300 (cut it back to a T8xxx [2.3 or 2.4GHz or so] and save $200 or so)
1GB RAM (stick with 2GB, save $50)

In all you can save near $500, bringing your cost to around $1200 to $1300 for a 17" HP laptop rather than a 15" Dell laptop. It also has a 512MB 8600M GS as opposed to a 256MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom