Getting the most out of the warranty? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Getting the most out of the warranty?

I posted a help post a while back for my graphics card problems. I finally got the problem resolved and its proof how much warranties can save you money.

The Story

My laptop was getting the BSOD whenever I installed a graphics card driver. I could boot into safe mode, view all my documents and everything and ran tests so I knew it wasnt the hard drive. I brought it to the Geek Squad (thats where I had the warranty) and they diagnosed the problem.

They called back and said it was a hard drive problem and they had to replace it. At this time, I wasnt going to say anything because they just told me they were giving me a brand new hard drive (and I knew that wasnt the problem) so I said OK. My laptop is almost 3 years old.

I picked up the laptop, installed windows 7, fooled around with the Operating system because Ive never used Windows 7 before, and then decided I was ready to bring it back the the Geek Squad to have it fixed correctly. So I re-installed the graphics card driver AND....BSOD again.

Now, 3 weeks later, I go to pick up my laptop with a brand new hard drive to find out they also replaced the Mother Board, the processes (which is now better than my last one (1.8GHz to a 2.4GHz) and a new graphics card.

So...I basically have a new laptop due to the Geek Squads mistake.

Make sure you spend the extra money on the warranties!!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Getting the most out of the warranty?

I find most extended warranties rip offs.

I buy everything on my visa gold card and i automatically get an extra year warranty on everything i buy.

I'm not computer savvy.. so i need help! pleasee!! I just need it to be under $1000, just the desktop no mouse/keyboard/monitor
Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

DO NOT give it to Geek Squad. Give it to the manufacturer of your system. If still under warranty. But still, save yourself a bit of money and stay away from Geek Squad.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM/PS1 View Post
I find most extended warranties rip offs.

I buy everything on my visa gold card and i automatically get an extra year warranty on everything i buy.
American Express and MasterCard has it too
Closed Thread