Get better performance out of 8600M GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keving01400

Solid State Member
Hey
just bought the HP dv9543cl. It comes with the 8600M GS. The only 3 games I have been playing is Operation Flashpoint, Americas Army, and ArmA (Armed Assault). OFP and AA run great at highest settings, however Im greatly disappointed with the performance Im getting with ArmA. I tried overclocking the videocard (core) to 600mhz (stock freq was 500), hit apply, went through the stability test but after it passed it set back to the stock freq. Any answers to why this is happening and what I can do to get it to work?

Also I have read that this card has TurboCache. I know what that is but was wondering how I can use it. Is there any drivers or programs I can download to access this?

Thanks for any help
Kevin

Most laptops won't allow you to over clock their video hardware. It's difficult to cool it properly and can very easily lead to overheating and system damage so that's why your lappy is resetting everything to stock. It's just best not to overclock them anyhow.

Turbocache is already enabled by default. Basically it has a set amount of dedicated video ram on the card (usually 128mb or 256mb) and then borrows more memory from your system ram (usually another 128mb or 256mb). If I recall, this can usually be changed in the BIOS. It's just texture memory, though, and isn't likely to improve your performance too much. What's the rest of your system look like? And do you have any performance benchmarks for Armed Assault?

HP dv9543cl
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
LCD: 17" WXGA+
RAM: 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
GPU: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GS
HDD: 320GB (5,400RPM) SATA dual hard drive (160GB x 2)
Battery: 8-cell Lithium Ion
http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/11203300_dv9543cl.pdf

The notebook came with Vista pre-installed however I was getting crappy performance so I reformed and put XP on. Performance is great with AA and OFP but like I said before... ArmA is another story.

Looking back at the stock freq, they are set to 500/400. The thing is I read that nvidia's recommended freq is somewhere around 600/700. Did hp really cripple the video card that much or am I just imagining?

with 3Dmark06 basic, the system benchmarked hgih 2200 low 2300.... perhaps the low performance could be due to bad drivers, but its been hard finding drivers that work with my notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom