Gateway Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody11d12

Beta member
Alright, so recently my hardrive began having trouble.. and eventually my whole computer got to the point where it could no longer boot up. I took this as an obvious sign to use my recovery disk.. and after many failed attempts, and dead batteries it prevailed! Yay right? Wrong.. I get on and absolutely none of my hardware works. I went into the 'Device Manager', and next to the sub-categories.. my Graphics Card, which I attempted to update, so now I am unsure of it's correct name, as it was changed in the failed process of trying to 'update from list'. and VGA Graphics Adapter, an 'Unknown Device' which I presume to be my missing Network Adapter, and my Video Controller.. there are the yellow triangles with the exclamation points.. I tried various things.. I downloaded and installed all of the windows updates, I went into each specific driver and clicked update automatically.. none of which could do so. Nothing has seemed to work. The main thing I'm concerned with though, is that the only thing next to network adapters is my ethernet cord.. no wireless adapter. Thankfully, in my Windows.old files created from my numerous attempts at restoring it.. I have found the network adapter folder and can see it being an easy fix. I am just very worried about the graphics card/video handlers.. because this is used mostly as a gaming computer. Help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!
P.S. I do not have any disks of previous hardware installs or anything, all the hardware came loaded with the p.c, and I'm really hoping I don't have to send it in to the CHEAP and QUICK.. service of Gateway.. :]

Need to know what the model is and what OS your using. Once we figure that out then we can get you going in the right direction. All you need is to install drivers for each individual piece of hardware and youll be set. Id be willing to bet all the drivers you need are already on your drive since you didnt format but its always good to have fresh drivers.

It's a model MT6723, and I'm running Windows Vista 32 Bit. :] Thanks! I might have a bit of a delayed process on my hands though because the computer was EXTREMELY SLOW regardless of what I fixed or changed.. so I decided to make one last restore and deleted the excess windows.old files.. now for some reason.. the Expanding Files function has been at 0 for the last 20 minutes.. but anyway.. I have a question.. how can I figure out what previous video card driver I had? Because when I made the attempt to update it, it changed the name of the driver all-together.

Well the only changes I made was that I did all of the Windows Updates, the only driver update I saw in there was the update for my Realtek wireless adapter.. I'm not even sure if these installed correctly, as I was up until 3 in the morning watching this happen, and I fell asleep. I woke up and my mom said it was at the desktop screen when she saw it, and she shut it down properly. I came back and searched for more updates, I had it restart, and for 2 hours it said "shutting down" and I just turned it off.. hoping that it would just update them upon turning on. And yes, I know it was a dumb thing to do, but I was losing hope and just decided I'd reinstall the updates, forgetting it could corrupt them.. :p Which I believe it did, because ever since it was really slow, justifying the restoration that's in process as we speak.

Thanks so much man!!! And yes I finally got it restored and it seems to be in working order, I just install them as I would a regular update right? Like Download-->Run-->Setup.. etc.? Because before someone said something about having to put it on a usb drive/disk.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom