Gateway MT6729 xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i just got this gateway, ive had it for a little more than a week (typing on it now) and ive been using vista (home premium) and its not that bad at first sight, but its pretty slow, even on 2gb, so i was like why not throw xp on it? i have tried every disk that i got, but it cant find my hard drive. what can i do? id really like to have xp on it because vista doesnt support my gamepad, and firefox has a tendancy to lock up with java on it, and thats starting to get annoying. help?

I think you need to load sata drivers via a floppy disk at the beginning of the xp install. I'm not sure where to find them--it's been a while since I've done this.

I have found the drivers and have them sitting on the desktop right now, dont know what to do with them. i dont have a usb floppy drive, and im not going to get one if there is a way i can get around it. like slipstreaming them onto my xp disk, or maybe getting xp to work with a flash disk or something.

Hello,

Unfortunately you can only install 3rd part RAID / SATA drivers via floppy disk during Windows XP installation. Frustrating, isn't it?

It is possible to do a slipstream with the required SATA driver if you know how to do it, using nLite for example.

Alternatively, most BIOSes these days have a 'Native SATA mode' option (or something similar) which you can enable and disable. Disabling it will allow your SATA hard drive to act as a PATA hard drive, thereby allowing Windows XP to install the default IDE/PATA driver for it...

...You can then install the SATA driver afterwards in Windows XP (if you choose to), but it can be tricky if you don't get the procedure right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom