Gaming Laptop Recommendation Request - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Smile Gaming Laptop Recommendation Request

I need help selecting a gaming laptop. Please suggest any laptops that you think I should consider. Additional comments are more than welcome. I have provided the following information as a guide. Thanks for your help.

1) What is your budget?
Definitely not more than $2000. Ideally, I donít want to spend more than $1600.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
Desktop Replacement - 17Ē screen. 18Ē is too big for me.

3) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
I will be primarily leaving the laptop on the desk, but would like some portability for travel.

4) Where will you buying this notebook?
Buying in the US.

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Iím open to any brand.

6) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

7) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
I will be primarily gaming with this laptop. I also want to use it for video and photo editing.

8) Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Gaming will be the primary purpose of the laptop. Iíd like to be able to play games such as Metro 2033, Crysis 1 and 2, The Witcher 2, World of Warcraft (multiple clients running at once), Rift, and Starcraft. Maximum video settings would be great, but at least high settings. I will NOT be playing in 3-D.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Not much battery life needed - maybe an hour or two.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I just want to be able to see images of the laptop so that I know the location of ports and buttons.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows 7.

12) When are you buying this laptop?
Buying sometime within the next week or two.

13) If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Iíve been looking at sites such as AVADirect, ProStar, Digital Storm, GenTech PC, Xotic PC, powernotebooks, Malibal, Agearnotebooks, etc. I have no idea which are good. Maybe thereís a supplier that is a hidden gem out there that I missed.

14) Additional Information
I think the GPU should be the primary focus of this laptop build. I donítí think I can afford the GTX 580M, but Iíd like to have something that is better than the GTX560M.

15) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
I would like full HD. 1920x1080, I suppose. I love small text. I do not want 3-D.

16) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Not exactly sure if I want glossy or matte. I play games in well-lit rooms so matte would be better, but I do prefer the more vibrant colors from glossy screens. This wonít be a dealbreaker either way. Maybe someone can convince me one way or another.
Iíve also been reading about ďGamutĒ. Should I focus much on this? Might be out of my budget.

17) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Performance and functionality come first. Style would be great as an added bonus, but not a requirement. The laptop can look plain Ė I donít need fancy lighting or designs, but it shouldnít look like an eyesore.

18) How long do you want this laptop to last? How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I purchase a new PC about every four years so I donít need the best of the best components.

19) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
320 GB is more than enough. The solid state drives might be out of my budget, but would be nice to have. I would prefer Raid 0 capability.

20) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
A basic optical drive is sufficient.

21) Other
I would like to have an integrated card reader and integrated camera. Various components should be standard: HDMI output, USB3.0 and 2.0 ports, Ethernet/modem jack, etc. I donít need any additional software nor accessories.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast
Default Re: Gaming Laptop Recommendation Request

At your budget, I'd strong recommend you get the ASUS 74SX. With the GTX 560m you can easily play Crysis 2 at high settings. G74SX here, Welcome to Republic Of Gamers! G74SX says 17.3" screen instead of 18.4" like the first perhaps this might be the one for you?

Here's multiple retailers: ASUS G74SX-A1 Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop: Computer & Accessories
GenTech PC - Asus G74SX-A1 nVidia GTX560M Gaming Notebook
ASUS G74SX-XT1 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 12GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Blu-ray Player/DVDRW,3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M,17.3 Full HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64,1-Yr Warr./1-Yr Acc. at - ASUS G74 Series G74SX-A1 Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 1333 1.5TB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

You may be able to find more.

Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Gaming Laptop Recommendation Request

At this point, the Sager NP8170 (Clevo P170HM) is at the top of my list because it allows me to upgrade the GPU. However, I have read user comments that the chassis build is not great. Yet there are other people who love their Sager. Can anyone comment more on this?
Closed Thread