Gaming Laptop(couple questions) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Gaming Laptop(couple questions)

Ok, so I am gonna be getting a new computer soon. I was going to build a desktop, but I'm going to want portability. So here are my questions:

1: Can a laptop be comparable in speed to a desktop build?

2: Whats the fastest processor for a laptop (I will be using lots of high demand programs)?

3: Whats a good dedicated video card for gaming?

4: As kind of a side note not specific to laptops-- would a quad-core at 2 ghz for example be faster than a dual core at 2 ghz? Does the extra 2 cores double the speed or what?

EDIT: Could you recommend a good laptop (budget is like, $1500 or so) that can handle gaming and high cpu demanding programs?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Gaming Laptop(couple questions)

1. It depends on the desktop build.

2. I've seen some notebooks come with top of the line i7 processors.

3. The GeForce GTX 280M SLI

4. I don't have time to explain at this moment, I apologize.

Try taking a look at these, whatever fits your budget:

ASUS N81 Series N81Vp-D2 NoteBook

ASUS N81 Series N81Vp-D2 NoteBook

I highly recommend this laptop whenever it becomes available however...
ASUS G Series G51J-A1 NoteBook

On a side note, be sure to stay away from HP, Acer, Gateway and lenovo(not like they make gaming laptops, but you should be aware nonetheless)

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via MSN to JoshUK
Default Re: Gaming Laptop(couple questions)

I personally have a Dell XPS laptop. It is nearly 2 years old now, but it is still great for gaming and I haven't upgraded it at all. I used to use a desktop, but with University work and such I found a laptop much easier.

A lot of the time however it is not just about whether a laptop is capable. I'm sure you should easily find a laptop out there within your budget that will play the top of the range games. It is also about what games you play. For example, I had no problem playing WoW on a laptop, but I know a lot of my friends hated it because they felt they didn't have enough UI space. I personally hate playing FPS's on a laptop, but if you have a TV/Monitor lying around, and a spare keyboard, you can just hook them up and play like that. A lot of the time it's just personal preference.
Closed Thread