Gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmurf

Solid State Member
new computer: please advise

Hey Team,
I'm a rookie when it comes to computers, so I need the advice of you wise internet folk ;)

I'm toying with the notion of getting a new laptop, or perhaps going the direction of a desktop. Due to limited time and budget, I won't be building my own desktop.
I need your advice to help me decide between a laptop or a desktop (I've narrowed my options to two models that quite interest me:
[Gateway laptop or desktop.

I intend to use it for mild gaming (DOWII, SCII, COD:BO, D3 (if it ever comes out)) so I'm wondering which system will better handle my needs.
Yes, I understand the differences of portability between a laptop and a desktop. I only need to move my computer to different locations a half dozen times a year, but the covenience of a laptop is very nice for these situations!

Any and all input is appreciated!

Re: new computer: please advise

I would be careful of getting a gaming laptop. I have 3 laptops and 4 desktops and from experience I can tell you that desktops will always game much better. Laptops overheat very easily and the extra heat makes your laptop run very very slow. Desktops are much cooler and faster.

I also upgrade my computers pretty often and I can tell you that a laptop will be extremely hard to upgrade. You can only upgrade the hard drive and RAM most of the time.

This means that in a year the laptop will be completely out of date and you wont be able to upgrade all its parts.

It depends on how hard you run your system though.

My opinion is that the key factor in computer for gamers is video card. First of all you should find a laptop with fast video card and great processor. Keep this two things in mind. And read reviews on a model you'll choose on amazon or another review website. Stay away from asus gaming series laptops. The characteristics their latest laptops has are great but they are in hurry and laptops are not tested properly so you may have problems with sound system or overheat.

I think all the i5 laptop with a good GPU are well over the 900 dollar mark. Your best bet might be to stick with an i3 and get a really good GPU on your laptop.

I was able to buy my laptop from newegg re-certified for $650. The stock clock on the CPU is 2.13 GHz, but I was able to overclock it to 2.66 GHz while maintaining stability and low temps.

I would definitely recommend an ASUS laptop for gaming, and longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom