Full Disk Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snayke

Beta member
Hello guys,

Currently we are in the process of testing encryption on our Dell Latitude2100 Series Netbooks. When we install the client from the network drive we perform a reboot. Afterwards, we then import the PC into the proper configuration channel so that we can push the encryption remotely. Onced added we must then restart the netbook once more. Here is the problem. After the reboot we recieve the error "Error loading Operating system". One would think you would just reimage and start over until you are able to produce a functioning Fulldisk encryption. However, it literally kills the drive physically. you cant reimage, you cant reload windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are using Safenet Protect drive software.

Jayke

I believe you can not encrypt Windows files. User data, programs, yes, but not not the entire drive if is a OS partition/drive.

Hello guys,

Currently we are in the process of testing encryption on our Dell Latitude2100 Series Netbooks. When we install the client from the network drive we perform a reboot. Afterwards, we then import the PC into the proper configuration channel so that we can push the encryption remotely. Onced added we must then restart the netbook once more. Here is the problem. After the reboot we recieve the error "Error loading Operating system". One would think you would just reimage and start over until you are able to produce a functioning Fulldisk encryption. However, it literally kills the drive physically. you cant reimage, you cant reload windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are using Safenet Protect drive software.

Jayke

Depending on the software, you might need to make sure that the hard drive is completely encrypted. Or at least the C Drive. I have seen this being a problem with Safebook from time to time. And the other problem is that if your PC does not shut down properly, it might mess up the drive. If your C drive in encrypted too and you ever see the windows blue screen scan disk come into play on start up, you can pretty much forget about trying to get your hard drive to boot.
In order to get your hard drive working again, you might need to see about removing the hard drive from the laptop and formatting the partition with a drive untility from the manuifacturer.

I believe you can not encrypt Windows files. User data, programs, yes, but not not the entire drive if is a OS partition/drive.

There is some software which will allow you do that. The client that I am sub-contracted out too uses SafeBoot (now called McAfee Endpoint Encrytion) on their panasonic tough books. It will encrypt your hard drive. However if there is one little drive fault (some one shutting down incorrectly), it's bye bye data / os. Depending on how you configure it, you can prevent people from using connecting USB Hard Drive / Thumb drive to the PC and lock out other devices.

It honestly some thing that i would be rather careful about. I would not be using encryption software with out some form of back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom