Freezes in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
I have a buddies toshiba a55. He tossed it off a desk and now it will start to run windows but then at the login it will freeze. any consecutive startup it will lockup sooner. I went in and started bios to see where the problem lies and it would lock up in Bios. I am guessing the mobo is bad. maybe the p/s. Anyone with any info? I would update the bios but the **** thing wont run long enough. So thats why I am thinking mobo problem. Is the processor not in use until the system starts? any help or info appreciated.

If you don't have any files on it that you care about you can try clearing the CMOS on the Motherboard. That will completely reset the bios, but chances are that your motherboard is bad (or the processor), but this is one way to possibly find out.

If you don't have any files on it that you care about you can try clearing the CMOS on the Motherboard. That will completely reset the bios, but chances are that your motherboard is bad (or the processor), but this is one way to possibly find out.

No files he cares about just want the unit up and running again. So i am wondering is the CPU in use when bios is running?

No files he cares about just want the unit up and running again. So i am wondering is the CPU in use when bios is running?

yup the CPU is in use, oh and dont consider booting without a CPU

yup the CPU is in use, oh and dont consider booting without a CPU

Yeah i wouldn't do that. So the potential for the cpu or the mobo to be bad is about equal huh? What should I do to try and determine which component is bad? Is their a recommended troubleshooting steps to rule either one out?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? The only way to troubleshoot it would be to have another compatible motherboard/processor combination to test which part is defective. if you clear the CMOS then that will completely reset the bios and motherboard to out of box specifications. I have had units (motherboards) that I thought were bad, due to different causes and a couple of them have been just a corrupt bios and clearing the CMOS did the trick.

Hello,

If I threw my laptop off the desk, main first concern would be 'Is there any cosmetic damage?'.

My second concern would be 'Is the hard drive damaged?'.

Hard drives are fragile and can be easily damaged (especially on laptops with poor physical hard drive protection, if any) because it consists of mechanical parts, with platters spinning thousands of times a minute.

Since you've established there's no apparent physical damage to the laptop itself (notably the motherboard) then there's a high chance that the hard drive is damaged, especially since Windows keeps 'freezing' (which may be due to data corruption on the hard drive due to it being damaged).

Try using another 2.5" hard drive.

Hello,

If I threw my laptop off the desk, main first concern would be 'Is there any cosmetic damage?'.

My second concern would be 'Is the hard drive damaged?'.

Hard drives are fragile and can be easily damaged (especially on laptops with poor physical hard drive protection, if any) because it consists of mechanical parts, with platters spinning thousands of times a minute.

Since you've established there's no apparent physical damage to the laptop itself (notably the motherboard) then there's a high chance that the hard drive is damaged, especially since Windows keeps 'freezing' (which may be due to data corruption on the hard drive due to it being damaged).

Try using another 2.5" hard drive.

Appreciate the info Alvin, But if I boot to bios which locks up the laptop as well I thus eliminate the use of the HD. So i don't think this is the case. But yeah i was like WTF are you doing smacking the laptop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom