Free Fall Sensor Hard Drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Free Fall Sensor Hard Drives

My Lenovo T61p came with a 7200 80GB hard drive with a free fall sensor. I am aware of what the sensor does, but I am wanting to upgrade to a larger size hard drive with more cache. I like the free fall sensor and want to know if that is a component on a hard drive that I will purchase or is it software on on my laptop?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Free Fall Sensor Hard Drives

IBM's 'Active Protection System' is a combination of software and hardware, the hardware itself residing on the laptop's motherboard.

However, this doesn't mean that APS will be compatible with any hard drive you use. Hard Drives (which don't have 'free-fall' technology onboard) will only work with IBM's APS if they meet certain requirements - those being Head Unload Ramp Technology and customised firmware to take advantage of APS [1].

I'm unsure of what drives work with IBM's APS technology. What hard drive do you currently have? Purchasing a hard drive which is made by the same manufacturer (and perhaps is the same model) as your current may be your safest bet. Alternatively, purchasing a hard drive with 'free-fall' technology built in is another solution. Seagate Momentus 7200.2 hard drives, for example, has onboard 'free-fall' technology.

To be certain, I'd get in contact with IBM technical support.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Kubel
Default Re: Free Fall Sensor Hard Drives

Every modern hard drive has the ability to park the head, so there should be no reason why a replacement drive wouldn't work.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
~Romans 1:16
Closed Thread