Frakking Dell >.< - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Frakking Dell >.<

Well, about two years ago I bought the Dell laptop in my signature (it was a good deal at the time!), and I'm starting to have a very annoying issue with the battery. It seems to be fine until it gets to about 60%ish capacity (in both Windows and the battery meter thingie on the battery). Then, it suddenly drops to a critical capacity and forces the computer to enter hibernation.

I can force restart the laptop; that causes the windows display to read about 5%-10% capacity remaining (one dot on battery), and the computer dies not long after that from no power.

I'm thinking it's a battery issue, since the readout on the battery itself is screwy, but is there a good way to confirm this?

Also: the second Dell power brick is going bad. It's already been replaced once (just barely under warranty), and I'm thinking there's an issue with the entire stock. I was looking on Newegg for a replacement and found both this and this which say they're Dell compatible. Anyone know if the Dell laptops use a common power supply jack? The ones I've seen are, but I'd rather not spend $40 on something that doesn't work. Laptop is virtually identical to the Inspiron 1420.
Or, is there some way to just get another cable that goes from the adaptor to the wall? It works fine if the cable is jiggled into the right position, so it's more of a crappy cable than crappy brick.

Thanks for your help. Next computer will be a Lenovo.

("Media Center" Desktop) Athlon X2 4000+ / 4gb RAM / nVidia 9400 / 250GB + 2TB HDD / Windows 7 Professional x64
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Frakking Dell >.<

I'm afraid you had bad batteries. I had a similar problem on my Dell Vostro 1500. It wouldn't hold a charge for very long. Then I went hunting. I didn't want to buy it from Dell for ~$200.

Next choice was eBay. Now, I am a bit weary of eBay, but I looked for very good sellers. I found a good one.
NEW Battery for Dell Inspiron 1420 Vostro 1400 Laptop - eBay (item 170430476928 end time Aug-08-10 01:06:27 PDT) (this is your version you need)

It has a 3-year warranty. Only for ~$30. Mine workS flawlessly everyday since I bought it. They are a good company. I would buy from them again.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I have a dell vostro 1000 with the same issue.

On a full charge it says a little over 2 hours but i can barely get 20 minutes out of the thing.

I'm not computer savvy.. so i need help! pleasee!! I just need it to be under $1000, just the desktop no mouse/keyboard/monitor
Old 07-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

That shall be your problem. Get a new battery. They aren't meant to last longer than a couple years, if.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Nuts, that's a shame about the battery. At least $30 on eBay isn't too outrageous, thanks for the link!

Any other ideas with the power supply? A new battery isn't much good if I can't charge it up :P
("Media Center" Desktop) Athlon X2 4000+ / 4gb RAM / nVidia 9400 / 250GB + 2TB HDD / Windows 7 Professional x64
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

If the second power supply they sent you is already going bad i would call dell and talk to customer support.

I'm not computer savvy.. so i need help! pleasee!! I just need it to be under $1000, just the desktop no mouse/keyboard/monitor
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

If it's not under warranty, they won't do crap.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Sometimes if you make a big enough stink they might fix the problem.

Couldn't hurt to try.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

That is rare. All they want to do is sell you a new product.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie00 View Post
Any other ideas with the power supply? A new battery isn't much good if I can't charge it up :P
If Dell won't do anything for you then I'm sure you can find another cheap one on Ebay.