Flex Cable - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thumbs up Flex Cable

My name is xttwo.

I've recently rebuilt a laptop.

It's a Toshiba Tecra 8100. The last part I need is a ribbon flex cable that connects the motherboard with the front end of the LED display just below the keyboard.

Toshiba the company won't help me since I have an out-of-date out of warranty computer.

So far I haven't been able to find any place to get it. It seems to be the one computer part no one in the world keeps in stock.

Believe me I've looked.

Sales & Service locations where I live, other places in The United States, other places in Singapore and France.

So now I've decided to try asking people on tech forums. This is my second of what I hope won't be many more forums.

If anyone out there has the part I'm looking for; I'll be happy to pay you the $30 dollars I was originally going to give one location that presumably had it.
( via PayPal )

The part I need is called Ribbon Flex Cable.
( flexible printed circuit cable )

Appliance Wiring Material : AWM E41447-M 2896 VW-1

That's the serial/model number printed on the computer cable itself.

xttwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Flex Cable

Is this what you are looking for? e41447-m,awm e41447m,2896 wm,awm 2896 ,30pin cable,30 pin 2896m,

Far cheaper than the $30 you are offering up to people... Also, from what I can find, that model and such really gives no information as different vendors use that same number for different cables in different products. One company has a 40pin version, another has a 5 pin, another has a 20 inch long one, another has a 2 inch long one.

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thumbs down Re: Flex Cable

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yes, that was the first place I tried purchasing the cable and got stiffed from the person who listed it on that website.

It took me a couple of weeks to get a refund from PayPal.

The $30 is what I was going to pay one website based out of France ( international company/ nartik.com ) that presumably had the cable I was looking for but gave me a refund - as it turns out the owner doesn't have it in stock.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Flex Cable

If you have the cable already, could you try to get a similar style cable that just has more traces, and use a hobby knife to cut the extra 2-4 traces off a slightly larger cable and do it that way? Kind of rigging it, but that's about the only other thing I could think of when it comes to something that can't be found...
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thumbs up Re: Flex Cable

That's one of my last two options. I don't believe I'm at that point yet.
I still want to continue searching the net for what I want.

I have a DVD/VCR combo unit that has flex cables ( one wide; one thin ) in the device; last night I inserted it in my laptop and was able to charge the laptop external battery to full power;

( apparently some circuits between the motherboard and the front panel LED board were able to link between the flex cable )

-but it wouldn't start-up.

I don't have one of those workbench magnifying lamps; so cutting up cables to make a makeshift one seems a little tricky.

Thanks for your responses.