Few questions, 1500 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laotzu

Solid State Member
1) Do the dual core processors still carry the setback that each core can not share the same task? If so, doesn't this basically mean that if you are just running, say windows xp and counter strike: source, then having a 2.5ghz processor is doing you the same good that having a dual core 2ghz one?

2) Any good recommendations for a laptop with a budget around 1500?

Welcome to Tech Forums Laotzu!

you're definitly better off with a dual core. and i'll edit in a second with a couple good laptops for you.

also what do you want to be able to do with the laptop?

As for what I want to do... I want it to be fairly fast, but I'm playing video games less and less these days, so I guess my goal is Starcraft 2 ready for speed.

Thanx for the link. The specs look nice and it has nice discounts, but I only worry about the ten pound weight.

Can you install windows directly onto apple laptops now?

I can get a discount through UMD that makes some of the apple laptops look enticing...

Scratch that, mac laptops are still a huge ripoff, even with huge discounts, when compared to other manufacturers.

wow, i didn't even see it was 10lbs. yeah, i'll look for a lighter one. also are you like a university student where you'll be carrying it around or will it stay mostly in one place. also mac's are great laptops if you just want something simple that will do word processing. but as far as games on them goes you would have to pay around 2500 for one that has a good graphics card.

I'm in community college right now so not university.

Also I'm honestly still kind of torn between just getting a new PC or a laptop. Everyone seems to want to push me towards laptop for portability, but even as a Computer Science major, I like to have discipline and sit down and do my programming at my desk.

So with that being said, as most programming for the major will be able to be done on a slower laptop, I'm also wondering if it would be efficient to get a new PC, and then a cheap laptop if I ever want to use it for taking notes or working on programs that won't require much computing power.

Sigh... decisions decisions.

Thank you again for your help :)

no problem, its what were here for :D

and you might want to go the other way around, and get a nice laptop for 1000 and put together a 'budget' pc for like 500, if you want to go that way.

also what you could do is get an Eee PC which is a 7" laptop thats quite reliable and good for 'simpler' tasks. and if all you would need to do with the laptop is take notes and do like simple programming, and then buy a more powerful PC to do all your programming and other fun things that you're limited on a laptop.

you could build a 1K system, which will get you a fast system with a q6600 (if you wait until the 213 price drop) and then get like the tiny ASUS one, whats it called? EEPC?

no problem, its what were here for :D

and you might want to go the other way around, and get a nice laptop for 1000 and put together a 'budget' pc for like 500, if you want to go that way.

also what you could do is get an Eee PC which is a 7" laptop thats quite reliable and good for 'simpler' tasks. and if all you would need to do with the laptop is take notes and do like simple programming, and then buy a more powerful PC to do all your programming and other fun things that you're limited on a laptop.

haha, dag on. Too fast for me :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom