Feel my anger Dell? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Angry Feel my anger Dell?

First I am not a fan of Dell. I am a fan of Dell's Precision Division, for now.

I have my wonderful M4500, one of the few good models by Dell as is the whole the Precision division since it isn't even in the same ballpark as the rest of them. I've needed it repaired twice, both being my fault.

Well this last time I had to send it in for repairs and to get the optical drive forcibly removed since the screw dug itself in making it impossible to remove it and replace the USB ports I somehow broke.

Well I got it back today only to find the top shell is trashed with scratches all over it and what appears to be a thick black grease. Then, on the bottom, they had bored out the screw hole to remove the ODD and not bothered to replace the panel so there is now a quarter inch scratched up hole in the bottom of my computer.

Now I know why I have a 3 year unlimited warranty.

This is strike one Precision. At least the USB ports are fixed.

- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Feel my anger Dell?

****. that sucks a bunch. I'd be super ****ed about that. have you done anything about it?

at least you have the warranty on it.. I don't think i'll every buy an expensive laptop without buying an extended warranty on it...

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
****. that sucks a bunch. I'd be super ****ed about that. have you done anything about it?

at least you have the warranty on it.. I don't think i'll every buy an expensive laptop without buying an extended warranty on it...
Ya because of the warranty any and all replacements and repairs are free (except fire damage for some odd reason) so I called them and they are replacing the shell along with a lot of kiss ***ing.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

that's good, and they better be kissing your ***... dell's a company that prides themselves on their customer service, and it seems like they had a major let down of it. shame that you had it out of commission for a while and now have to wait again... :/
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
that's good, and they better be kissing your ***... dell's a company that prides themselves on their customer service, and it seems like they had a major let down of it. shame that you had it out of commission for a while and now have to wait again... :/
Well that's the good part. Most of their repairs are on site so they will come to me. Meaning no downtime outside of the hour they're here. That's also why Precision rocks. They treat all of their computer sales like the business contracts they are.

The only reason it had to be shipped out the first time was because of the ODD screw locking itself in.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

This is odd, I know a guy who sent a server back before even installing it into the rack and noticed that the VGA port was loose from the mobo and sent it back, when it returned (24 hours later) it was scratched to **** (cosmetic only I belive) and sent it back again he gives them a full 5 star rating for customer service but a big fat 0 for quality control.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
This is odd, I know a guy who sent a server back before even installing it into the rack and noticed that the VGA port was loose from the mobo and sent it back, when it returned (24 hours later) it was scratched to **** (cosmetic only I belive) and sent it back again he gives them a full 5 star rating for customer service but a big fat 0 for quality control.
Ya 90% of the time they have genuinely nice "techs" but the quality control obviously needs work.

It honestly looks like it got repaired in some guys garage on a dirty workbench and he kinda slid it around..
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

which is what i would expect if i were working on it, but not if i were paying someone to work on it

Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I take better care of other people's stuff when I am working on it than I do my own.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

I gave up on Dell after my last XPS laptop. It just was not a good computer and not even close to worth what it cost. I remember when Dell was at least decent they have gone down hill severely. I will say that their warranty process is pretty good minus your most recent experience. I personally had two problems and both times they sent techs out to my house to replace parts for me.

Against my advice my brother got a XPS laptop a year and a half ago because he felt like I was trying to cheat him out of getting a better laptop. We have a kind of strange competitive rivalry with material things. LOL its not healthy. However this time I was truthfully trying to help him make a better purchase but he wouldn't listen. Of course he has gone through 3 motherboards since he bought the laptop. He got the 3-year unlimited warranty also so he hasn't had to pay a dime but it has been a hassle for him nonetheless. I at least get to say "I told you so."

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 950 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 - G.Skill Ripjaws 6GB RAM - Cooler Master Hyper N520 - ATI HD5870 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 - Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB HDD - RevoDrive 240GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K - ASUS Sabertooth P67 - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM - Cooler Master V8 - AMD HD6970 (Crossfire) - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 PSU - Western Digital Black Caviar (1.5TB) & Green Caviar (2TB) HDD - OCZ Agility 2 160GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit
Closed Thread