Fedora 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
Fedora Core 7 hasn't been cooperating recently with a laptop I (sold) to a friend of mine. I offered to re-install windows vista, but, since it's a free operating system, shes willing to work with it.

I can tell right away that her problems will and have been networking. Getting online wirelessly recently has gone down the drain after I have first dual booted without a problem but now, after dual booting and installing a clean clear cut version of fedora to the hp it is now 'disabled' permanently. I've checked network settings and I really know very little in regards to adding it manually. the last time(about a month ago) when i ran fedora exclusively, it gave all the bells and whistles not to mention wireless connectivity.

So, is there another distro of Linux that works with these brands of laptops? I'm really not frustrated as I am confused as to why some of the hardware in the laptop has gone capoot. I believe her only reason for not wanting windows is for the simple fact that
One) it's free
two) shes had some experience with linux
three) it was on there and shes come to like it

any suggestions of another distro would be fine, but, i believe shes on a time limit as I am not.

What's the manufacturer of the network card?
You can try Ubuntu. It's a very user friendly distro, but it's very hard to troubleshoot without knowing the manufacturer of your network card.

Great, so I would actually need to have it right in front of me, is there a way i can pull up the network card properties in fedora?

Ubuntu Ubuntu Ubuntu!! The compiz fusion mod bundled with the newest version is amazing.

The network card is integrated in the laptop? What's the model of the laptop? Maybe someone else had this problem and post how to solve it. Give us as many information as you can so we can help you.

HP Pavilion DV6245us
Processor Brand Intel
Processor Class Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed 1.6 GHz
Mobile Technology Intel Centrino Duo
Installed Memory 1 GB
Maximum Memory 2 GB
Memory Technology DDR II SDRAM
Cache Size 2 MB
Hard Drive Capacity 160 GB
Included Drives DVD±RW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM

Display and Graphics Display Size 15.4 in
Display Type TFT active matrix
Graphics Processor Intel GMA 950
Resolution 1280 x 800 pixels
Modem Speed 56 Kbps
Network Support Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g

Intel based wireless chipsets should work 'out-of-the-box' with all major distros. I'm surprised it doesn't work with FC7. As others mentioned, Ubuntu is a good alternative. I have it installed on my HP DV6000Z. With a bit of tweaking, I got wireless running. The only other proprietary driver was nVidia, which was simple to install as well. The only problem I currently have is no USB support, which is somewhat unfortunate.

If you do decide to go with Ubuntu, you might want to consider avoiding Gutsy and sticking with Feisty. Gutsy seems to have gone backwards into the future, and much of the community is quite upset over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom