external hard drive how to ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i have a Seagate 320gb external hard drive, that i use to back up all of my files. it has come in handy several times, and i am very glad i decided to buy it when i bought my system. anyway, it is now about 1/2 full, much of it with photographs. whenever i open it, it takes a few minutes to come up, because it is loading all of those files and pictures. is there a way i can keep this from loading all of this? i figure i have them in the wrong kind of file or something that should not be to hard to change. or, at least that is what i am hoping! i have always just right clicked, and created a new file, typed in a name, and went on from there. do i need to change the type of file, or is there a way to keep these from opening when i click on the drive from my computer? thanx.

I have always put pictures into a folder so what I can open the dive without having to wait for all of the images to load. Right click and select new folder. Then highlight all of the images and drag and drop them into the new folder.

See if there is an option to compress the files for faster retrieval, then extract once loaded. Otherwise, Ghost's idea is a good one. By placing the files in a folder the external doesn't have to load many .jpegs, .tiffs, etc.

Suggest to do the following on your drive:
1. make partitions at least 2.
2. run chkdsk /r to handle bad sectors.
3. defrag your drive.

hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom