External GPU for Laptop. Help Needed.

exzizt

Beta member
Hi there. First and foremost, I'd like to welcome myself to the Tech Forums community! This is my very first post.

My question is:

How do I go about getting an external GPU for my laptop? Is it worth it? Easy to set up? Hassle-free?

My laptop is an Acer Aspire V3-571-6850

Some system specifications:
- Windows 8.1
- Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
- Intel HD Graphics 4000, up to 1760 MB Dynamic Video Memory
- 8 GB DDR3 Memory
- 750 GB HDD
- Acer Nplify 802.11a/g/n + BT 4.0

I don't think I can afford to buy a new / make a new gaming computer. Which is why I am interested in getting an external GPU for my laptop: gaming (and maybe some video editing).

Could it support one very well? If so which one would be best? Budget maybe ~200-300$. I'll also note I run an HDMI cable from my laptop (laptop resolution 1366 x 768) to a TV that I use as a monitor (1920 x 1080p).

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to hear back from you!:)

Aren't really any great ways to do this while still being able to keep your laptop mobile.

Seen adapters that allow you to hook into the mini PCI-Express of your laptop (which is usually where your wireless card goes). Others hook into external PCMCIA slots, which most laptops don't have nowadays.

I've looked into doing it before...not really worth it.

Aren't really any great ways to do this while still being able to keep your laptop mobile.
This isn't really a problem for me. I don't ever really need my laptop to be that mobile. But is unplugging the external gpu an easy process? Simple as plugging in and plugging out?

And I think it will be worth it if I'm saving money from buying a whole new computer.

This isn't really a problem for me. I don't ever really need my laptop to be that mobile. But is unplugging the external gpu an easy process? Simple as plugging in and plugging out?

And I think it will be worth it if I'm saving money from buying a whole new computer.

Like I said...the adapter that I've seen replaces your wifi card (if it will actually work). This is what I'm talking about:

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

You would also need a decent PSU to power the card externally and a GPU that would be worth it.

You can buy External Graphics cards via USB 3.0 but not sure how good they will perform, maybe a slight increase from your built-in one.

I think the OP is looking for something like this
AnandTech | Alienware's Graphics Amplifier Announced - An External Video Card Chassis Shipping Soon

Here
Alienware Graphics Amplifier | Dell

Too bad you'll need an Alienware 13 laptop to use it
MSI just released one as well. The GS30 will come with one.

I linked that already in my previous post ;).

You can buy External Graphics cards via USB 3.0 but not sure how good they will perform, maybe a slight increase from your built-in one.

Bandwidth wouldn't be high enough I wouldn't thing for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom