extended warranty for display model? yes/no

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis53

Beta member
Hi everyone. I just bought a gateway p-7805u fx laptop at Best Buy. I got the display model because it was the only one with the 1920x1200 wuxga resolution. Since it was the display model should I buy the 2 year extended warranty? Thanks, Louis53

Maybe. How much is the warranty and how much did you pay for the display model? Also, does the 2 years warranty start after Gateway's 1 year ends or the date you purchase it?

I got it for $1029.00 and it's $199.00 for 2 ys. I would only get it if it did startafter the 1st yr warranty expired. The good thing is that if something does go wrong I can simply bring it in to Best Buy instead of sending it off to Gateway.

Since you mention bestbuy that extended one is through geeksquad and is worthless IMO.... They will do what ever it takes to charge you when you take it to them. With it being a display model, make sure you keep it clean, and take very good care of it, in case something happens within the one year period.

It's still 20% of the purchase price...I would recommend skipping it. I've heard a lot of bad things about BBY warranties like how Charles is saying. Sometimes they're okay but they're very good at making you pay for stuff you shouldn't have to and the repair turnaround time isn't going to be much better than sending it in to Gateway to get it fixed. If you want a warranty badly enough I'll bet you can get an extended one from Gateway themselves for quite a bit cheaper.

Dont skip it, get them to give it to you for $50. No more. Trust me, they can do it at that price.

Thanks everyone. Since it's the display model I think I might get the extended warranty through gateway when I register it. The display model was the only one with 1900x1220 screen resolution. The others were all 1400x900. I'm afraid there may be a pixel problem later on since these display models are left on all day. I will not get the Best Buy extended warranty. Thanks again, Louis53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom