Ethernet Driver problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Ethernet Driver problems

Ok, so im new here, havent given myself proper introduction but oh well.

Yesterday i Just got my dads laptop from the shop, the display wouldnt come on. turns out it was bad RAM. if id of know this i couldve fixed it myself. but anyways, when we get it home and fire it up a message comes up saying that driver software for the ethernet controller needs to be installed. so the first thing i do after finding that the wizard thats supposed to install it dosent, i go to the add/remove programs interface and find the driver. it reads "realtek 8169 8168 8101E 8102E ethernet driver". I clicked change and repair, when its done i restart the computer and it works fine, then about 10 mins later my internet goes down again and i get the same message. then i decided to go to the computer companies website (acer) and download the driver to there. i go there download it, stick it on a disk and install it on my dads computer, and nothing.
I messed with this for aout 4 hours installing uninstalling, repairing etc. etc. its getting extremely frustrating and all the shop i got it back from will say is "they didnt mess with anything but the RAM but they would be happy to take a look at it for me" problem is, i dont have any money to pay them to take a look at it.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5515.

if anyone has any ideas that would be great!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Ethernet Driver problems

Try going into safe mode, and uninstall the drivers. Restart, if Windows does not find the driver by default, install them.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks, Ill have a go at that when I get home from work, and Ill report back to you guys.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Did a system restore and all is well, thanks for the help =]
Closed Thread