Engineering Student Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Customized Dell Vostro would be good.

Just try to get a decent screen as doing solidworks on 1024x600 is lame lol.

Try for something like a 2+ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ddr2, and some sort of discrete graphics.

btw I just finished my 2nd year of a motorsport engineering degree so have some experience with Solidworks/Cosmosworks and Autocad of course. Next year I'll be learning CATIA.

Are you positive you need a laptop? They are really soooo expensive and pretty slow in general.

Depending on the CAD work, I would be going for something with a nVidia Quadro video card. There are quite a few of those on the market. And they are more geared for CAD work. Where nVidia GeForce is more geared for gaming.

Quadros are more geared for CAD, Yes/No???? Or that's is what every one has been telling me for the last few years or so.

I do know that some of the Toshiba Tecra seem to be coming with that instead of the GeForce Card.

ah I didn't realize there were mobile quadros.

In any case you will most likely be paying a lot more for a lappy with a quadro in it. We have quadro rigs at school (e8400, 4gb, some sort of quadro) and so far for solidworks and such my home pc has been LOOOADS faster....there are certain functions that workstation cards support that gaming cards don't, but so far I've not ever encountered a situation where that's held me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom