dvds to laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason74

Solid State Member
I recently transferred my families home videos from our 8mm tapes to dvd. I would now like to transfer the dvds to my computer for the sake of storage and for the sake of being able to edit them in windows movie maker. How do I go about doing this?

From what little I've been able to find, it appears that I may need to download additional software for this. Is this so? And if so, can you point me in the right dirrection?

Just in case it matters; my computer is a two year old Toshiba with Windows Vista. It has a dvd player, but it does not have a dvd burner.

Thanks for your help,
Jason

Dvd ripper and take all disk files off (usually 4-5gb) then autogk to convert to an avi file of a suitable size. I encode to 1.4gb (2x700mb disks incase I want to burn to cd or put multiple files on a single dvd)

It will take 15 mins to rip and then tthe length of the film to re-encode to a smaller file.

If you want more detailed instructions there are plenty on the web and if still confuzled come back and I will write a short step by step guide that should clarify everything.

I couldn't get my Window's Media Player to provide me with a rip option for the dvd. It will play the disk, but it will not rip it.

I was able to copy the disk files to my computer by using the copy option. However, the files are in a .VOB format. Are these files of any use?

If you have a good web link that provides good step by step instructions, that would be fine. However, all the ones I found used a lot of terms and abbreviations that I didn't understand. Since my computers skills are pretty basic, I could really use a "for dummies" set of instructions.

Thanks for the help,
Jason

I did a new Google search with a better question. I was able to find some better instructions. I will try my luck with them.

Thanks
Jason

You could also try DVD Shrink. When you read the disk, and start to rip it, instead of "shrinking it" to fit a dvd, change compression to 100% (since your not putting it on disk) and change the output area to hard disk.

As this is a home movie dvd copy and paste may work however this is the usual method

First use this program to rip the dvd DVD Decrypter

Then encode using this program AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion - Downloads

The tutorial is here ignore the first parts just read using autogk and onwards (ignore the techno babble if you don't understand it)
AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion

If you are still struggling I will write up some step by step instructions

I could not connect to the DVD Decrypter link. [Address not found] Is this the DVD Decrypter that is getting hard to find? If so, is there any other source for it that you are aware of?

If I can not find this specific decrypter, do you have a different one you would recommend?

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks for the help!

I downloaded the GK converter and successfully converted one of our videos.

Since it was a home video, I didn't need the ripper. I was able to covert it straight from the disk.

While I don't quite understand which setting are best, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out in the future.

Thanks again,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom