dvds to laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default dvds to laptop

I recently transferred my families home videos from our 8mm tapes to dvd. I would now like to transfer the dvds to my computer for the sake of storage and for the sake of being able to edit them in windows movie maker. How do I go about doing this?

From what little I've been able to find, it appears that I may need to download additional software for this. Is this so? And if so, can you point me in the right dirrection?

Just in case it matters; my computer is a two year old Toshiba with Windows Vista. It has a dvd player, but it does not have a dvd burner.

Thanks for your help,
Jason

Old 02-15-2009, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: dvds to laptop

Dvd ripper and take all disk files off (usually 4-5gb) then autogk to convert to an avi file of a suitable size. I encode to 1.4gb (2x700mb disks incase I want to burn to cd or put multiple files on a single dvd)

It will take 15 mins to rip and then tthe length of the film to re-encode to a smaller file.

If you want more detailed instructions there are plenty on the web and if still confuzled come back and I will write a short step by step guide that should clarify everything.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I couldn't get my Window's Media Player to provide me with a rip option for the dvd. It will play the disk, but it will not rip it.

I was able to copy the disk files to my computer by using the copy option. However, the files are in a .VOB format. Are these files of any use?

If you have a good web link that provides good step by step instructions, that would be fine. However, all the ones I found used a lot of terms and abbreviations that I didn't understand. Since my computers skills are pretty basic, I could really use a "for dummies" set of instructions.

Thanks for the help,
Jason

I did a new Google search with a better question. I was able to find some better instructions. I will try my luck with them.

Thanks
Jason
Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

As this is a home movie dvd copy and paste may work however this is the usual method

First use this program to rip the dvd DVD Decrypter

Then encode using this program AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion - Downloads

The tutorial is here ignore the first parts just read using autogk and onwards (ignore the techno babble if you don't understand it)
AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion

If you are still struggling I will write up some step by step instructions
Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
There and Back again

You could also try DVD Shrink. When you read the disk, and start to rip it, instead of "shrinking it" to fit a dvd, change compression to 100% (since your not putting it on disk) and change the output area to hard disk.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
As this is a home movie dvd copy and paste may work however this is the usual method

First use this program to rip the dvd DVD Decrypter

Then encode using this program AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion - Downloads

The tutorial is here ignore the first parts just read using autogk and onwards (ignore the techno babble if you don't understand it)
AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion

If you are still struggling I will write up some step by step instructions
I could not connect to the DVD Decrypter link. [Address not found] Is this the DVD Decrypter that is getting hard to find? If so, is there any other source for it that you are aware of?

If I can not find this specific decrypter, do you have a different one you would recommend?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Patron

DVD Decrypter download DVDDecrypter
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the help!

I downloaded the GK converter and successfully converted one of our videos.

Since it was a home video, I didn't need the ripper. I was able to covert it straight from the disk.

While I don't quite understand which setting are best, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out in the future.

Thanks again,
Jason

Closed Thread