DVD Drive vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhollmusik

Beta member
Hi all.

I borrowed my friends' Acer Aspire 3610. She uses a french XP and didn't want to lose it so I installed my own english XP Pro on a separate partition, which ended up being assigned the D:

So at boot-up I can freely choose between the two operating systems. But my XP Pro has had a lot of hardware problems. It lost:

- soundcard
- WIFI network card
- a USB port
- DVD Drive

I managed to re-install the first 3. It wasn't that simple as the Device Manager listed them as "unknown devices" and had no idea which .inf file would re-install it. I had to keep going back to the french XP to check Bus Locations and .sys filenames. Eventually got it.

But the DVD Drive problem remains, as it unlike the other 3 devices has also vanished when I boot the french XP. It's as if the D: denomination I now use for my XP Pro has overwritten the DVD Drive completely.

The DVD drive shows no power, no lights, and is nowhere in the Device Manager to be found. The only unknown devices I have are:

- PCI Modem
- Video Controller
- Video Controller (VGA)

These are under "other devices" and have the yellow "?" next to them. If I try to update drivers for these devices manually I can select under "choose the driver to install" a group of CD-Rom drivers, called things like:

- force CDDA accurate
- force CDDA inaccurate
- force IMAPI disable
- IMAPI settings 0,1 (about 20 of them through to 1,9)

So basically my question is:

Under which PCI Bus / Device / Function is the standard in-built DVD drive for the Acer Aspire 3610 to be found?

Which driver (or .inf file) is the correct one?

Thanks in advance and greeeets from Prague.

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom