DV9000 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpser

Beta member
Okay guys,

A friend of mine had an HP DV9000 and the LCD had evidently gone out on him. I asked him what th eproblem was and he said it was the video card. Keep in mind he has no technical based knowledge at all. He said it was integrated into the motherboard, which is correct. So he moved out and left the laptop to be found by only 3 months later. I took it to my new residence and powered it on.. The LCD came on however, before I could even get past the POST it goes out on me. Actually it looks as if someone has spammed the POST all over the screen. Needless to say I had to turn it off and try again. I turned it on once more and nothing happened. As a matter a fact now, when I turn it on it seems as though the boot process just seems to loop. Every 20 seconds or so it reboots, displaying nothing on the LCD. I proceeded to take the Laptop apart only to find an infestation of dead roaches and roach poop everywhere in it. It was disgusting well, so was the guy who owned it.

Nonetheless I cleaned what I could. Nothing was really on the board but, like I said. I cleaned what I could. I removed the inverter and found nothing to be burnt on it. I reassembled the laptop and proceeded to power it back on. The LCD came on but, only for about 25-30 secs before it froze/spammed whatever was on the screen. I restarted and it did not come back on. It started to powercycle itself every thinrty secs or so once more. I found that when the LCD ever came on, it didn't powercycle loop. of course when the LCD didn't come on, it looped. If ANYONE has any diagnoses or experiences they could share with me, it would be greatly appreciated. :sigh:

Thanks, Jayke

I have a dv9700t that runs perfectly fine, try removing the hard drive, because if it is getting past the POST screen, it could be a corrupted OS. Also remove the battery and AC adapter and plug them back in (resets BIOS or something, fixes issues where it doesn't POST at all, mine has locked up a few times where I needed to do this). The CMOS battery is located under the middle panel on the bottom, try taking the battery out and putting it back in. If you can get it to boot up, flash a new BIOS to it. You may also be able to boot a BIOS flashing media such as USB, floppy, CD, or hard disk, not sure if HP provides an OS-independent BIOS flashing utility or not. If it shows stuff on screen, the LCD/inverter are fine, maybe the GPU is messed up, but if it is displaying images, probably also fine, sounds like a corrupted BIOS to me.

Nope i'm sure it's nota corrupt OS b/c I have reinserted the Harddrives and it started to boot up. I made it to the windows screen and then BAM! The LCD went scrambled again and it went out. Bummer. I'm thinking there is a short somewhere.. I just don't know where to look anymore lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom