Driver Problem for Compaq Armada E500 Running Windows 7 Ultimate - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Driver Problem for Compaq Armada E500 Running Windows 7 Ultimate

OK. This may sound strange, but I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) on a 650 MHz Pentium 3 Compaq Armada E500 with 512 MB RAM. Well, actually "Tiny" 7. I installed it and then purchased a genuine key and activated it. It installed with all but 4 drivers: ESS Maestro2E MPU 401, ethernet controller, PCI Serial Port (both I think are the modem [dial-up and ethernet]), and an "unknown" device. I tried getting the drivers from Windows update by running updates, but that didn't work. Then I tried going onto Compaq's website but all of those drivers are for Windows XP or lower OS's. Next, I tried "Driver Detective" and purchased a driver CD that it recommended and that didn't work. What else can I do? Are there any generic drivers that would work? Is there some part of Microsoft's website that I can go to to install drivers manually? I really would like to get Windows 7 running properly on this computer because it is actually quite fast with it. But, I can't get it to run properly without the drivers. Please help.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Download vista drivers if you can find them, if not, try this with XP drivers.

Right click the driver setup file and put it in compatibility mode for XP or Vista, and also check to run it as administrator.
One other thing you could do is check for third party drivers.
I got a Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 card to run on Windows 7 using drivers that some average Joe coded up lol.

Also what device specifically are you searching for drivers for?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Old 03-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Driver Problem for Compaq Armada E500 Running Windows 7 Ultimate

You can do what he said ^. But sometimes getting working drivers may be hard, seeing that's a pretty old system, having Win7 supported drivers would be hard to find.
Need to update my siggy!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Driver Problem for Compaq Armada E500 Running Windows 7 Ultimate

Here ya go, man.

| HP Compaq Armada E500 Windows 7 Driver Recovery CD Restore 296257 | CD Disk Download | User Guides |
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread