doing something wrong or just not possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyj79

Beta member
Got a new hp laptop running win 7 and an external drive connected to that. Wanna connect my acer netbook running xp wirelessly to it to add files to the external drive so i can access them with the hp. was able to set up a WAN and now can even connect to the internet through the hp. Can't access anything on the hp. tried all the workgroup and home group things but don't work and everything i read says they don't work together. how can i do this? Is it really that complicated?

I know this isn't the point, but you could just connect the external drive to the netbook, then copy them over then use them on the HP.

Aside from that you should be able to share files fine. One thing i did notice in networking is that both computers need passwords, not really sure why or if i was just unlucky.

So make sure that the windows 7 computer turn on network discovery is on as well as file sharing.

always remember \\servername\sharename

On the destination computer:
What is the name of your computer you want to transfer the files to? Lets say for now the computer name is: "COMPUTER"

ON the computer that has the files on it:
Make sure to SHARE the folder you want to access. To do this right click the folder and click share.
NOW... The public folder sharing option might be off..... if so you will be prompted to enter a user from the local machine. Just turn the folder sharing option on in your Network and Sharing Center located in your control panel. A way around this is right clicking the folder clicking advanced security and click the share this folder box.
Just remember what the sharename is because this is what you will need to access it. In this example ill name mine "Share"

Now: on the destination computer hit windows key+r
the run prompt should appear. Type \\computer\share

and you should be there.....

Hope this helps.

Wanna thank you guys for the replies but now i can access all the files i want on the hp from the acer but lost my ability to connect to the internet through it! I have no clue what i did seeing as i made a ton of different connections and now all of them say no internet access. Not a reall big deal cause not what i need for the real pourpose of these computers, but it sure would be nice to have for playing around at home. if anyone can tell me how i did it in the first place that would be great and then i can start over from there. THANKS

Start off with, can other computers on the network get to the internet.

If so, are you using wireless or a cable connection on this computer.

If it is wireless make sure the wireless adapater is turned on (some computers have an on/off switch). If it is turned on then check device manager to ensure there is nothing with an X or explanation mark on it.

Could also try an ipconfig \release and ipconfig \ renew in the command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom