Doesn't run from battery/battery doesn't charge - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Doesn't run from battery/battery doesn't charge

Hey, all,

My battery quit working for me. I've had the computer a year and a half (Gateway cx210x), haven't used the battery extensively, and I know that it's not at the end of its life (in normal terms of failing batteries).

Basically, it won't run from battery power at all. When the battery is plugged in and the AC adapter, the charging light turns on, but never turns off. It never says it's fully charged. Gateway has a little tool in the BIOS to reconfigure the battery, but I left that on for about 20 hours (they said it should take about 8) and it didn't do anything at all. It said it was 75% charged and 25% complete with the reconfiguring process the whole time, and the charging light just kept turning on/off.

So does anyone know of any tricks or battery "hacks" or utilites? I'd like to figure out some crazy way to make sure it drains fully and then try recharging it. Preferably without some kind of fire. Spending 160 bucks on another battery is not my idea of a good time.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Putting the X in Sapper
Default Re: Doesn't run from battery/battery doesn't charge

Originally Posted by coolshmo View Post
Preferably without some kind of fire.
...there goes my idea.

My Current PC-
Intel Q6600 G0 |Western Digital 250gb HD
Seagate 500gb HD | Western Digital 500gb HD | VisionTek HD4870 | 4gb Cruical Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800
850w Thermaltake PSU | Cooler Master Centurian 590 | 2x Dell 22" LCD

-900HA EEE pc
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Doesn't run from battery/battery doesn't charge

Batteries do go bad even when they are not used much. There's no way to condition a battery while running off the AC adapter. You should be able to get a new battery for a lot less than $160.
Closed Thread