Doesn't run from battery/battery doesn't charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolshmo

Solid State Member
Hey, all,

My battery quit working for me. I've had the computer a year and a half (Gateway cx210x), haven't used the battery extensively, and I know that it's not at the end of its life (in normal terms of failing batteries).

Basically, it won't run from battery power at all. When the battery is plugged in and the AC adapter, the charging light turns on, but never turns off. It never says it's fully charged. Gateway has a little tool in the BIOS to reconfigure the battery, but I left that on for about 20 hours (they said it should take about 8) and it didn't do anything at all. It said it was 75% charged and 25% complete with the reconfiguring process the whole time, and the charging light just kept turning on/off.

So does anyone know of any tricks or battery "hacks" or utilites? I'd like to figure out some crazy way to make sure it drains fully and then try recharging it. Preferably without some kind of fire. Spending 160 bucks on another battery is not my idea of a good time.

Thanks a bunch.

Batteries do go bad even when they are not used much. There's no way to condition a battery while running off the AC adapter. You should be able to get a new battery for a lot less than $160.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom