Do external GPUs for laptops work effectively?

Aloof Floof

Beta member
I'm new to PC gaming and I have a lower-end HP laptop.

Processor: Intel Core i3 Processor, 2.40GHz
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
And 12GB of RAM.

For example I would really like to play Cities: Skylines on medium or high, using mods and all that good stuff, but this laptop can hardly run the game smoothly at all on the lowest settings. It runs and plays, but very choppy.

Would a USB compatible (or other) external GPU fix this? Do they actually work for laptops?

Never used one or met anyone that has. Maybe specious reasoning but I think if they worked well for what you describe, you would see it being used more widely.

Or ever.

I think a desktop is best for computer games and upgrades. Getting a laptop is like getting a car. If you buy a new one it depreciates as soon as you drive away. And laptops get obsolete, they are fragile but at the same time often heavy.

I don't see them as a place I want to invest more money than I have to, if that makes sense.

Yes you need thunderbolt 3, not like it matters anyhow as external GPU's have severe drawbacks

Can you explain? I've been using a Razer Core X with my rMBP for a few weeks, haven't had a single issue.

The usb ports are too slow. The USB port is suitable for connecting an additional monitor. I heard that usb video cards are used for mining. "Raisers for mining" require an external power supply to power a video card. You need any power supply to a desktop computer.

USB-C goes up to 40Gbps now. Definitely not slow. The Razer Core X is actually pretty decent :tongue:

I'm thinking about making an eGPU with my HP laptop for gaming. I don't have a Thunderbolt slot, PCI express card slot, or USB - C. I have USB 2.0 and 3.0 slots. Are there any extensions or adapters that I can add in order to make this possible?

Back
Top Bottom