Dell Mini 9 Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
I didn't find any discussion about them yet, so I figured I'd start a thread...

Thoughts?

They seem to be getting a bit better reviews than the Asus eeepc and the Acer one.

As all netbooks, it get's a bit hot, but not terrible... available with linux or xp, has a bigger screen than the eeepc even though the whole thing is the same physical size.

Did anyone order one yet? I'm pretty tempted by them... a co-worker ordered one so I'll have a chance to try it out in a few days.

The mini 9 is nice but a little expensive. I was considering one but the 16gb xp model would cost $485 including shipping and taxes which is more than I would like to pay. The Acer Aspire 1 6 cell with better battery life and a 160gb hard drive is only ~$411 shipped.

Agreed they are nice, but still too much in my opinion. I would pull the trigger on the cheapest version, but last I checked they still didn't include a webcam and the battery life leaves something to be desired.

...They seem to be getting a bit better reviews than the Asus eeepc and the Acer one.

As all netbooks, it get's a bit hot, but not terrible... available with linux or xp, has a bigger screen than the eeepc even though the whole thing is the same physical size...

About the screen size, it depends which Eee PC model you compare it to. The Dell Inspiron Mini has the same screen size and resolution as the Eee PC 900, 901 and 904HD models at 8.9" whereas older Eee PC models have a smaller screen at 7", and the 1000/1000H models have a larger 10.2" screen.

I've been interested in getting a subnotebook / netbook for a long while now. After some consideration, I decided to get an Asus Eee PC 1000H (should be arriving tomorrow morning :happy:).

The reason I chose the Eee PC 1000H is because it has a 10.2 inch screen and a 92% standard sized keyboard (which the Dell Inspiron Mini and Acer Aspire One do not have) and a 6 cell 6600mAH battery yielding very good battery life, compared to the Dell Inspiron Mini which is currently only shipping with a 3-cell battery. To add, a 3rd party 8800mAH extended battery is currently available for the Eee PC 901, 1000 and 1000H, which boosts the battery life of the eee pc up to the 8 to 10 hour territory - which is why I decided to eliminate the MSI Wind U100, despite it being identical in specs and price mark to the Eee PC 1000H.

hmm, good to know...

i couldn't find anywhere a specific % on the keyboard size on the dell... that's my biggest fear is that it's gonna be uncomfortable to type on

I think web book's are a fun little fad, other than having a portable comp to borws the web an check email on holiday I don't see a point to them.

Having said that I do want one as they are Cheep, Mostly run Linux, and the EEE's are very hackable.

I was thinking about also getting a netbook but ended up buying a full notebook then finding out about these. But for really mobile internet i m probably going to get a ipod tpuch 2nd gen

I've been interested in getting a subnotebook / netbook for a long while now. After some consideration, I decided to get an Asus Eee PC 1000H (should be arriving tomorrow morning :happy:).

Thats the one I believe I will be getting as well. I would be very interested to hear how you like it. Specifically, how the size is in regards to still maintaining an ultra portable feel. Post here with some details!

I think web book's are a fun little fad, other than having a portable comp to borws the web an check email on holiday I don't see a point to them.

Having said that I do want one as they are Cheep, Mostly run Linux, and the EEE's are very hackable.

fun little fad? These aren't going to be going away anytime soon...

There uses are endless, I challenge you to think of something a standard laptop can do that these can't (besides gaming obviously). For a student or a businessman, netbooks are a godsend. Being a student myself, the note taking capabilities and the option to do research on the fly is priceless.

To take it even further, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if within a few years ALL laptops fit into the "netbook" catagory (that is, being less than 11" or so and cheap).

As s student a netbook would suit my needs perfectly. They have great battery life are small, light and have enough power to run Firefox, MS office or Visual Studio which are the only programs I need on it. I always have my gaming system back at home for more demanding programs.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the eeepc 1000h 80gb and the Acer Aspire 1 160gb with the 6 cell battery.

As s student a netbook would suit my needs perfectly. They have great battery life are small, light and have enough power to run Firefox, MS office or Visual Studio which are the only programs I need on it. I always have my gaming system back at home for more demanding programs.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the eeepc 1000h 80gb and the Acer Aspire 1 160gb with the 6 cell battery.

I'd go with the acer personally because it is cheaper with more hard disk space and they both run the same processor. The only downfall to the acer one is if you are going to upgrade your ram you have to take the whole thing apart to get to the ram slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom