Dell Latitude D600 boot option menu locked, how to unlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

In Runtime
Hi guys (and girls), I haven't been on here for what must be at least a year now, and wow how things have changed!

Anywho, I got given Dell Latitude D600 a couple of years ago, and used it every now and then. It has spent the last six months or so under the bed gathering dust, and so I decided I would get it out today and whack Ubuntu on it for a little play around.....

I can't get it to boot from CD (also tried XP CD, same story). If I press F12 I am given three options: Internal HDD (obviosuly don't want that), Onboard NIC (which just gives me PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable and PXE-MOF Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM, and Diagnostics which just passes lots of tests.

Obviously what I want to do is boot from cd drive, but when I press F2 to get into BIOS the boot order menu is locked, and I can't change the order. It will not let me enable order changing either.

I have tried 'fooling' it by booting up with the HDD out hoping it would boot to next usuable option which is CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive under the Onboard NIC heading. But I just got given PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable and PXE-MOF Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM again like when tried to boot from Onboard NIC previously. This seems to be saying the Broadcom part (wireless module I believe) is broken? Why is it even trying to access wireless?

It has BIOS revision A14.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom