Dell Inspiron Laptop locks up

mehguy

Baseband Member
I own a dell Inspiron 5558 that has windows 10. Just recently, I had to do a pretty big windows update and ever since then, its been acting wonky. Its slower then it used to be and when I try to launch any graphics intensive game (for intel hd graphics anyways) like csgo or league it completely locks and freezes indefinitely when I get into the server and I have to do a forced shutdown. Sometimes, I can get into a server but when I do I get poor fps. I used to have things set to low and get around 40-50 fps. Now its dipping down below 30 in some cases.

I've tried to do a system restore but that hasnt helped. Was it because of that one windows update that screwed up my computer? or could it be the hardware failing in my computer?

By "big windows update" you mean the Anniversary Update?

You may need to just do a Reset after doing the update - as it basically does an in-place upgrade of the OS which changes quite a few things.

Did you check for updated GPU/chipset drivers for your laptop from Intel's website?

By "big windows update" you mean the Anniversary Update?

You may need to just do a Reset after doing the update - as it basically does an in-place upgrade of the OS which changes quite a few things.

Did you check for updated GPU/chipset drivers for your laptop from Intel's website?

Yes, I believe its the anniversary update. What do you mean by doing a "Reset" because Ive done the "Reset this pc" option in the windows 10 settings, which is the system restore Im refering too.

Yes ive checked for GPU updates. I have the most up to date one.

Yes, I believe its the anniversary update. What do you mean by doing a "Reset" because Ive done the "Reset this pc" option in the windows 10 settings, which is the system restore Im refering too.
Ah. System Restore isn't the same thing as "Reset this PC" - they're different things entirely. "Reset this PC" resets back to basically a fresh Windows install, and System Restore just reverts your PC back to a previous restore point before software/drivers/updates were installed.

Yes ive checked for GPU updates. I have the most up to date one.

Did you check on Dell's website or directly from Intel? Because you should look directly on Intel's website. Also, their update utility doesn't always work, so you'd need to browse manually.

Ah. System Restore isn't the same thing as "Reset this PC" - they're different things entirely. "Reset this PC" resets back to basically a fresh Windows install, and System Restore just reverts your PC back to a previous restore point before software/drivers/updates were installed.

Did you check on Dell's website or directly from Intel? Because you should look directly on Intel's website. Also, their update utility doesn't always work, so you'd need to browse manually.

Well when choosing the Reset this pc option, I chose the "keep files" options. Should I have used the other one which was to clear the hdd?

And yes, before I reset the pc I looked on intels website but when I tried to install it, it told me it was the wrong driver. But Ill try again.

Ok so I just tried to install the drivers from intel's website and got this error: "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate drive from the computer manufacturer"

You'll have to download the ZIP version that contains the INF files and follow this to manually install the driver:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558749190911446231/

Alright thanks, everything is fine now.

Another problem, this one wasn't as obtrusive so I put it off but I think now is a good time to fix it. When I try to charge my laptop, I plug in the AC adapter and starts to charge, but things start to get slow and eventually after a few seconds of charging, it says "plugged in, not charging" and literally, the second I take my charger out, my laptop becomes back to normal speed again.

Have you checked your advanced power settings to make sure there isn't settings misconfigured to slow your system down while plugged in?

Back
Top Bottom