DC Jack Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default DC Jack Problem

I am working on a co-workers daughters laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 1525. His daughter dropped the laptop on its side, the dc jack side (left side) while the ac adapter was plugged in. The ac adapter is garbage since it destroyed the end of it. The computer recognized the new ac adapter as being plugged in, but would not charge. The dc jack and two usb ports are on a seperate board from the mother board. I ordered a new power board, and it is still not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering though if the mother board got fried from a surge in power when it was dropped.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: DC Jack Problem

I think that the power jack into your laptop got dislodged. If it is still under warranty, send in a RMA form to Dell. If not, I'm afraid you will have to open the computer up and investigate to the power jack.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oh I have already opened it up, completely because I replaced the power board. Even with the replacement it is still not charging. I am at a loss.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Check for voltage on the daughter board where the DC jack is, on the back side, where it's soldered, then check again where the board plugs into the motherboard. If you are getting voltage, then the old daughter board shorted out the charging circuit.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Explain the voltage check a little more please. The voltage seems to jump a little, and then goes back to 0.0 so I am assuming there is no charge going to it. This was only supposed to be a part swap, and it has turned in to quite a headache.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Ok, on the daughter board, you see the jack, there will only be ONE positive lead on that, and the rest are ground, you usually have 4 ground points, and one positive point, soldered onto the board. Probe at them points, and check for voltage, if you get nothing, shove one of the leads from your multimeter down into the cylinder of the power supply, and put the other on the outter part, use caution to not short the leads together, and see if your getting voltage. If you have voltage at the adapter, but not on the daughter board, the new daughter board is bad.

Closed Thread