d600 latitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgewood

Beta member
I have several labs of d600 laptops. They all have a gig of ram and zenworks installed on them. They are so slow that nobody at the schools will use them. They would run alot better if I only put sp1 on them, but then they would not be to secure. Anyone have any suggestions?

More ram and a clean install would be the best option. I doubt the software you are using would be available for linux but if it is that's a possible option.

Being at school? I doubt they use anything other than surfing and word processing.

I remember plenty of obscure software that was on the school systems. They could also be using Active Directory or other Windows specific products to manage their systems which would complicate an os change.

I have several labs of d600 laptops. They all have a gig of ram and zenworks installed on them. They are so slow that nobody at the schools will use them. They would run alot better if I only put sp1 on them, but then they would not be to secure. Anyone have any suggestions?

Actually putting the Service Packs on them would make them more secure. As there has been updates pushed out that require the install of SP's to be installed that have patched flaws in the OS. If it is true that these are XP machines, they should be on SP3 by now. XP before any Service Pack was the most insecure OS ever created by Microsoft. It has more holes than swiss cheese that mated with a sponge. So I would highly recommend that you install the SP to get the machines more secure.

If the machines are Windows 7, then yes installing SP1 would also benefit you. As stated there has been patches put out to secure flaws in Win7 that only can be applied after Win7 SP1 is installed on the system.

Overall there isnt much that can be done. The systems are running with 1GB of RAM and a slower CPU. The best thing you could do is do a clean image on all the machines and lock them down so that no software can be installed to them that isnt put on by the IT people. I would also even consider making it so that no USB devices can be attached to them, who knows if these machines are infected cause of students having attached USB Thumb Drives that have autorun infections on them. Could be the root of all the issues in the lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom