Couple questions Toshiba Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
I just bought a used toshiba satellite from a friend of mine. known issue, hard drive bit the dust. It is an A355D-S6930. When turned on and allowed to try to boot, I get the following messages
"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controler v1.09 (080602)
XE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM."

In the system settings there is no hard drive recognized. My first question is, is the diagnosis of dead hard drive accurate with that message and what I'm seeing? Secondly, if I get a new hard drive, can I DL the Vista version that I need and use the product key that is on the back? lastly, does it matter what hard drive I get for it? Got some options and am willing to get this up and going... for it being listed on toshiba's website at 799.99, I figured 150, with dead hdd or whatever, wasn't bad lol. thanks!

My first question is, is the diagnosis of dead hard drive accurate with that message and what I'm seeing?
Can you remove the hard drive, plug it into a working PC and see if it detects. You want to make sure that it's the hard drive that is dead, and not the hard drive controller.

g? Secondly, if I get a new hard drive, can I DL the Vista version that I need and use the product key that is on the back?
Yes. However if the serial number does not work, you might need to use an another serial number and then call up Microsoft to change over to the orginal serial number and activate your windows.

lastly, does it matter what hard drive I get for it? [/youtube]
If it's a Sata harddrive, then make sure you get a replacement SATA harddrive for it.
If it's a ATA harddrive, then make sure you get a replacement ATA harddrive.
Apart from that, you also have the issue of hard drive brands. But that is about it.

yes the message COULD be because of your dead hard drive
yes you can use the version of vista that you want with its product key

However as for Hard drives you have to make sure that it is a 2.5 inch for laptops and you have to make sure that it has the same connection as the one already in their which should be a SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) cable.

you should be able to just take out the old hard drive put the new one in, put the vista disk in, boot it up and follow install instructions. Unless theirs other problems with the laptop itself.

lol, been working with computers long enough to know to look for the obvious *get a laptop hdd, 2.5" SATA* I just was... actually, I guess that wasn't a smart question, I knew the answer to it! ok, question then for keyboard cowboy. is the sata cable the same for regular sata devices as is for the lappy hdd? or do I need a conversion cable? *I am currently trying to find a screwdriver that will fit grrr*

HAHA yeah sorry, i kinda figured that after i submitted my reply and seen how much post's you already had.

2.5 and 3.5 SATA use the same connectors so you are set.

Just need to open that baby up.
Why cant they just use normal size screws on those babies.
Oh well.

lol, been working with computers long enough to know to look for the obvious *get a laptop hdd, 2.5" SATA* I just was... actually, I guess that wasn't a smart question, I knew the answer to it! ok, question then for keyboard cowboy. is the sata cable the same for regular sata devices as is for the lappy hdd? or do I need a conversion cable? *I am currently trying to find a screwdriver that will fit grrr*

If it's a sata hard drive, then you can plug it into a normaly desktop sata cable and power.

If it's ATA, then you might need to pick up an adaptor for you to unplug it into an IDE cable.
Or you can get some USB to adaptors what will connect to just about any drive (not scsi)

eh well guess I should have checked here before I ordered my new hdd, getting a 320GB 7200 rpm 2.5 Western Digital, hope it's not the controller as you mentioned... and yes, it's sata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom