Core Duo Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRide

Beta member
Hi,

I'm confused wondering if someone can help.

I'd like to know if a Centrino Duo 1.66 GHz Procecssor means 3.32 GHz total or two cores of 8.03 MHz

Cheers

Hi,

Centrino Duo isn't a processor per se, but rather a laptop platform (or marketing brand name) referring to the combination of a chipset, processor and wireless adapter.

As for multi-core processors, what your processor has is two cores operating at 1.66 GHz - this is how you should see it. Note however that a system with a dual core processor doesn't necessarily provide twice the performance of a system with a single core processor operating at the same clock speed.

You can't just add the two cores together - it isn't that simple.

But generally speaking if you get a core 2 duo at 1.6, that means you have two processors running 1.6 on the same dye. Neither will run above 1.6, but mathematically speaking you could do more processing with two cores of 1.6 because mathmatically it is more efficient.

ok heres my questions, does the same logic apply to the intel core i3, i5, and i7? cuz i notice everytime i look up the specs of a computer with i7, it always appears below 2.0GHz..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom