Cooling my new Lenovo G770

Status
Not open for further replies.

joolker

Beta member
Hey guys, could anybody recommend me a decent cooler (that is powered by USB if possible) suitable for a Lenovo G770? I don't mind spending a bit but not TOO much. I'm not even 100% sure if this model is known for overheating but I used my old laptop on things like the bed and carpet alot and this caused alot of overheating issues - putting off using my new Lenovo at the moment until I sort a cooler for it. If it makes a difference from what i've read on the rare times they overheat (when doing alot of multitasking) it seems to be on the left side. I've been having trouble finding a cooler big enough (17.3") that has good reviews Also, for the price, do you think my new laptop is a good buy? I'm no computer expert but I think the specs are good for the price and I know it's only an i3-2330M (what are peoples opinions on said processor) but my laptop use doesn't tend to be very CPU intensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers :D

Most laptop coolers work by elevating the laptop and letting air circulation to cool the underside of the laptop. Some use fans, some have no fans (known as passive cooling).
However, any of the traditional coolers will be problematic on a bed/carpet/anything maliable.
If you were to get a cooler and then right under that cooler was a blanket, or a comforter, the air circulation would be lost. Instead of air being under the cooler, there would be a heat insulating material.
To keep a laptop cool, use it on a flat, hard surface. Avoid soft surfaces such as blankets, beds, pillows, couches, etc. And especially, don't put the laptop on your lap. It sounds silly, but consider how poor the ventilation of a laptop is as opposed to a desktop. Pair that with the fact that your body actively produces heat, and you are just asking for a laptop to overheat.
I would give this cooler a try.
Newegg.com - Rosewill 15.4"~17" Notebook Cooler Model RNA-7000W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom