Connecting Dual External Monitors via Dell Inspiron 1420

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockfan0005

Beta member
Hello everyone,

Ok, so today I purchased a 22" external monitor for my laptop. I loved it SO much, that I decided that I would like to upgrade to two external monitors of the same size. However, this is problematic with only one DVI port.

I did a bit of research and found the following:
- A DVI splitter won't work (it will just replicate the signal on both pictures)
- There is an option to do so with a USB to DVI (approximately $30)

I was going to purchase a USB to DVI switch, then I had a thought:
-What if I purchased a USB to HDMI then converted the HDMI signal to DVI?

This would do two things: allow me to connect to my HDTV via HDMI and save me money (a USB to HDMI converter is only $10 on ebay: []DisplayPort to HDMI M/F Adapter with Audio (Non-USB) | eBay).

One of my biggest concerns is that I only have graphic card support for two monitors (somehow the USB to DVI can override this, but I'm not sure how the USB to HDMI works).

I would appreciate any and all input regarding this decision.

Will this system work or will it not work entirely?

Thanks in advance!

Going through 2 connectors is never a good idea. It may work, but sometimes your GFX gets confused.

I've seen the USB to DVI converter before. It's really nice. I'm not sure how it works, though.

Does your TV not have a DVI port?

The best idea is to get the USB to DVI and USB to DVI.

Firstly what type of DVI port do you have? If its a DVI -I then you can use a DVI-A/DVI-D splitter to create 2 output signals from one port enabling 2 independent displays.

Well I feel like an idiot...after exploring the settings, I find that it's a VGA port not DVI, thus the splitter won't work (unless there's something comparable for VGA).

So, if I buy something like this:
Amazon.com: DisplayPort DP TO VGA Video Adapter Cable Converter with USB 2.0 AGPtek All-in-One Card Reader: Electronics

Would I be able to disable my laptop LCD and just use the USB to VGA?

Sorry for the mistake about DVI/VGA...I still can't believe I made such an error!

Thanks for the replies!

VGA is anologue so I doubt it except for an external graphics card which is pricey.... sell your 22" and buy a 30" which due to resolution is like using 2 20"s thats really the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom