Connect Desktop CD to Laptop CD Port? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Connect Desktop CD to Laptop CD Port?

I have an old Compaq laptop at home. Its slim DVD drive broke awhile ago (just stops working, ejects at random times, stops reading discs inside, etc) and I was thinking of replacing it. However, I really don't want to spend $40 or $50 for a slim DVD drive, considering I'll be modifying the computer anyway and won't need a slim one.

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to connect a regular desktop DVD drive to the slim port inside of the laptop (or, worst case, if there was a way to extend the connection so i could put a slim drive a ways outside the computer).

("Media Center" Desktop) Athlon X2 4000+ / 4gb RAM / nVidia 9400 / 250GB + 2TB HDD / Windows 7 Professional x64
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hiphopapotamus.

Default Re: Connect Desktop CD to Laptop CD Port?

You could get an external enclosure and fit an internal drive in it, or just buy an external drive. Or you could buy an SATA to USB adaptor and use an internal drive with that. It wouldn't be pretty though...

Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

IMO your best bet would be a USB DVD drive.

You can't ram a regular drive into a slim drives slot - they are build diferently and there is no way it would fit. At best you might be able to purchase an adapter that would connect to an external drive and then it would connect to the inside of your computer - but even then it wouldn't fit. They are half the size of regular drives. You would end up having a CD drive hanging off your computer that would look like crap. Might as well just purchase a USB drive.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0dge View Post
You could get an external enclosure and fit an internal drive in it, or just buy an external drive. Or you could buy an SATA to USB adaptor and use an internal drive with that. It wouldn't be pretty though...
It's fine if it's not pretty, I'll be putting it inside something else. Should probably mention that the old laptop is all IDE. How well does mounting a drive externally through USB work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
IMO your best bet would be a USB DVD drive.

You can't ram a regular drive into a slim drives slot - they are build diferently and there is no way it would fit. At best you might be able to purchase an adapter that would connect to an external drive and then it would connect to the inside of your computer - but even then it wouldn't fit. They are half the size of regular drives. You would end up having a CD drive hanging off your computer that would look like crap. Might as well just purchase a USB drive.
It'd be mounted outside of the laptop - nowhere near a desktop. Appearances aren't a big deal, because I'd be mounting the laptop within something else. I'd just like to be able to play back DVDs.
("Media Center" Desktop) Athlon X2 4000+ / 4gb RAM / nVidia 9400 / 250GB + 2TB HDD / Windows 7 Professional x64
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

OH, gotcha. Well IMO a USB DVD would still be the best option for you - i don't even know if they sell converters that would convert the external DVD drive's connection to the internal connection.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hiphopapotamus.

This: Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

Coupled with this: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1675S - CD / DVD Drives

Would probably be cheaper...
Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie00 View Post
It's fine if it's not pretty, I'll be putting it inside something else. Should probably mention that the old laptop is all IDE. It'd be mounted outside of the laptop - nowhere near a desktop. Appearances aren't a big deal, because I'd be mounting the laptop within something else.
I'm doing very much the same thing. Have you succeeded in finding a way to connect the standard drive to the laptop? I've only been able to find adapters that go in the other direction.....a laptop dvd drive to a desktop. Thanks!!

Closed Thread