Confusing acronym, help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help buying a laptop

I want to buy HP Notebook 15-da1013ne for my colleage (computer engineering) , I'm worried about the display, hp states it as SVA, some people say that this is a TN display and SVA here stands for standard viewing angle.
An alternative to this is Lenovo L340 (it has ips) but I will have to sacrifice 7 hours of battery life. Both cost the same in my country.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Help buying a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech fan View Post
... I will have to sacrifice 7 hours of battery life.
Sorry, what should this mean?
Does the HP comes with an electric car accumulator/battery?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Confusing acronym, help!

No, the hp laptop has 12-13 hours battery life, while the lenovo one has barely6-4 hours of battery life because of power hungry cpu/gpu.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech fan View Post
No, the hp laptop has 12-13 hours battery life, while the lenovo one has barely6-4 hours of battery life because of power hungry cpu/gpu.
Such laptop batteries do not exist and never will, just think a little bit before you talk. You're the victim of advertisements.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Actually, there are "laptop" batteries that last 12-13 hours, it's all about how you use the machine. My 12 year old Dell Vostro 1500 had a battery life of 2-3 hours while playing games, with a rather power hungry 8600M GT graphics card. Out of game it could push 4-5 hours depending on screen brightness. Mind you this was 12 years ago!

You need to stop and think, large tablets and smaller laptops are starting to become one in the same, slowly, and can stay active for LONG periods of time, low power processors can be in the 7-20w range, and to be fairly honest, that's very low power draw.

The Dell Latitude 7400 series laptop has an i7 series processor and can push 13 hours btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalju View Post
just think a little bit before you talk

@Tech_Fan
When it comes to HP, when they market SVA, it literally means Standard Viewing Angle, they also have laptops with UWVA, which is ultra wife viewing angle, which, IMO, if you are on a laptop, you don't really need UWVA, SVA should be suitable for most users.

You are aware the HP laptop does come with it's own discreet GPU, an Nvidia MX110 with 2GB of GDDR5, right? So you certainly wont really be able to game on it with the latest titles, but it will make for a great machine for your courses.

I will suggest this though, consider the potential that you may have to charge during classes, batteries in modern electronics hate being at a full charge state, and hate being in a low-charge state, they like sitting in a middle ground, so if you wish to prolong the life of the battery, try to keep some charge on it if at all possible. You should also realize that the battery run-time is based on basic usage and not pushing the CPU hard, so if you are rendering something in Sketchup or CAD or anything of the sort (doubt you will be), then your battery run-time will go down the toilet when it comes to any laptop.

I would skip the IdeaPad L340 if you don't plan to play any games made in the last few years, however, if the occasional game is something you want, you should go for the IdeaPad L340 or similar and consider charging between classes if at all possible, or during class if you can. Some schools these days have outlets by desks for charging laptops while in class.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, I will get the hp, better for university.

Tags
lcd, sva