Confused about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C177

Baseband Member
In several places I've seen things saying RAM comes in sizes of 256mb, 512 etc. but in other places I've seen people saying stuff like "I bought 2gb of RAM today". I'm confused. :confused:

Yes you can buy ram in stick up to 2gb.

The real question is what laptop do you have, what ram can it use and what is the maximum size dimm that will work with it.

Ram actually comes in up to 4GB per stick. And technically, they are not 2GB even. 1GB = 1024MB and 2GB = 2048MB. We just use even whole numbers for simplicity instead of saying "I got a 2.048GB stick of RAM today!"

Doesnt the Crucial scanner thing tell you all that? Or am I wrong?

And thanks, sorry for being such an idiot. I'm not that great with computers xD

Ram actually comes in up to 4GB per stick. And technically, they are not 2GB even. 1GB = 1024MB and 2GB = 2048MB. We just use even whole numbers for simplicity instead of saying "I got a 2.048GB stick of RAM today!"

Hey, that made me think; won't there be some sort of weird jump from 32GB to 65GB (when doubling) due to overlap of the rest of the number?

True that. But in actuality aren't they 65,536MB?

I assume so :D It really makes you think, though. Because what about once you get to 128, 256, and 512GB? That would be way off by that point....

Now i'm confusing myself and I am forgetting exactly how hard drive sizes are figured.... Oh dear I best go look it up quick as that is not a good thing to forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom