Computers for college students

Will the windows 8 cause any trouble with the programs I would run or will it support all programs that work on windows 7?

That really depends on what programs you'd be using in all honesty.

For the most part, I would assume that it would work.

So windows 8 doesn't have too many glitches?

I can't recommend a computer to be honest that I'm sure will fit your needs but I can answer that, and for me that's a no. Coming from OS X 10.8, Windows 8 has felt just as fast if not faster (Note I'm now on a better computer too, still). Personally though I'd probably run Linux but considering your needs as a college student there might be some barrier applications, but there's always a solution; virtualization and Wine!

So I could run a virtualization machine on windows 8 for those programs that don't work?

So windows 8 is just as smooth as mountain lion? And would u also recommend the lenovo?

Last edited by a moderator:
@tbonnesen In Linux you could run a Windows 8 virtual machine to run those Windows programs you need, or use Wine, which packages applications to be used on Linux. This is a bit more advanced and if you're not sure you might just want to stick with running Windows 8. And it's pretty darn smooth. I experience the occasional lag, but nothing that didn't happen ever so often on OS X. That's what goes on in my case. I've had some pretty good experiences so far with Win8.

As far as the Lenovo goes, I feel it's a bit of a gimmick with the tablet/laptop hybrid, but for the price with those specs, it's awesome. It should work for you. Better than what $1000 would get you buying an Apple laptop, that's for sure.

EDIT: @Carnagex and @tbonnesen; for those apps that might not work on on Windows 8, again virtualization comes to the rescue; run a Windows 7 VM and run them there. I highly doubt something really just will not work at all on Windows 8. You should be fine.

Thank you Korrup 7!! So the Lenovo laptop is the best deal with those specs?

@Korrup 7 I have used Ubuntu some would that be a version of kind that can do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
@tbonnesen The Lenovo laptop looks awesome to me. Have fun with it! And yes, Ubuntu is a distro of Linux, so it would be able to.

Back
Top Bottom