compaq nc8430 fan

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so i have inherited my wifes old laptop, after mine died. this is a Compaq nc8430, that has had windows 7 installed on it. there is a bulletin on this model, because the cooling fan runs continuously when its connected to the a/c adapter.

HP Support document - HP Support Center

i am having trouble getting into the computer setup part of this. i am guessing that the f10 button has a different function in windows 7, than it did in XP. so i need some help getting to where i need to go. i have tried on my own for about an hour. i am finding lots of things, just not the correct spot. can someone point me in the correct direction please?

You don't press F10 while you're in Windows 7. You have to press the Esc key at the splash screen when you first start up your computer (where it shows the Compaq logo, and should say "Press Esc for startup menu". Then, you'll be prompted with a text menu, where you need to press F10 to go into Setup.

sorry, my bad. i did as the bulletin said. except when the splash screen appears, there is no option to press esc to enter set up mode. the 2 options are .... press f9 for boot device or press f10 for rom based setup. so i tried pressing esc anyway, it takes me to a screen that has to do with memory diagnostics. if i try pressing the f10 button, crud, i can not remember, brb

You'll want to press F10 then instead of Esc.

They probably just wrote up generic instructions that applied to most of the affected systems.

"ROM based setup" should be the same thing - you're essentially just going into BIOS/Setup and changing an option.

never mind. it worked. i must have always been pressing escape first.. that, or my timing was off. the time allotted is pretty short for an old geezer, who can hardly see. i would like to type lol, but its just not funny. anyway, thanks for the help. now if it actually works. right now the fans are still running. i am going t do a full shut down, then turn it back on, and see what happens.

No problem, good luck.

And the fans will run as long as the temp is high enough for them to kick on, even if that setting is switched.

May be best to also use a can of compressed air, and blow out the vents/fans.

well, the computer was pretty warm. but 10 minutes in 3 degree outdoor air solved that problem fast1 the problem was i did not save it properly. i had to go back in and do it again. i am pretty darn good about keeping all of our computers clean. i was shown how many years ago, and i blow them out regularly. my sons new, as i call it, 'SUPERcomputer' we have on a once a month cleaning schedule. with dogs in the house, and a forced air heating system, combined with the 8+ fans on his case, a lot of air moves thru it, and therefore a lot of dust as well. he was surprised how much had accumulated in a 1 month time. but i wasn't. we might have to switch to a better filter for the furnace. when i was young, and into music a lot, i built a cabinette for all the stereo equipment, that had 2 fans and air filters on each end. the fans pulled cool air in, and pushed hot air out, and large air filters at the top and bottom of the case to keep things clean. it worked well, but the fans were just regular household fans (computer fans were not yet mainstream items), and added noise. with the stereo pumping, the noise was not at all noticeable. but when i wanted quieter music, the fans had to be turned off. but as i aged, and music became less important, all of that went away. i thought about a similar set up for his computer, but he said it would be to ugly. so, we will just pop the side off once a month. and bring in the air tank.

black nylon stocking (steal one from your wife) makes for a decent DIY case fan filter, Of course you'll have to cut it to size and if you can make a frame for it, it'll be a nice case mod

Back
Top Bottom